solver

Finding Orphan Duplicate Items

Just helped someone over on HomeTalk where 2 identical windows were in the same space. Likely as a result of Copy and Paste in Place.

I've done it many times myself, ending up with 2 or more of the same item in the same space.

Any way to find these duplicates?

Not sure haw that would work, maybe if it showed up as a different color on the floor plan b/c I have the same window and door all the time, just in a different location

Only way I know is to highlight the item and check the

Status Bar to be sure you have the item selected. Then

hit the Next Icon or the Tab key and if the Status Bar still

shows your item then you know that there are two of them

there. But you probably already knew that.

Whenever I click "copy and paste in place" on a window in one of plans, the casings get noticeably screwy. Does that not happen for anyone else? It looks the same in plan view, but not camera view.

Yes I have experienced that before Ross.  Sometimes I don't trust the tab button and go to the extreme of selecting and deleting until there is nothing left and then CTRL Z once.

I recall that DataCAD had a delete duplicate objects tool. (Maybe the only thing I miss about DataCAD.)

edit- The tool was really useful the time I exploded a hatch and accidentally copied it in place.)

You can check the window schedule to see if there is a window you cannot account for.

• Upvote 1

Maybe we need a new feature that checks for two objects of the same type that are in the exact same spot. It is highly unlikely that anyone would intentionally place two identical objects in precisely the same X, Y location on the plan.

Even if they meant to do it, every case I can think of would involve resizing one of the copies or making some minor modification to it.

I use Scotts method with schedules to find em. I've trained two people here at the office and both managed to do this often at first-I still do it once in a while.

Copy/Paste In Place is useful for creating a window that is aligned with another window either above or below.  Personally, I don't use it because I use the copy/drag method instead.  Just select window, hit copy, and then drag the center handle.

Window and door casings will not work correctly if your windows or doors overlap.  Sometimes the wall openings will not work correctly either.  We would like to make these parts of the program work better in these cases but for now just don't overlap your windows or doors.

Regarding finding duplicate windows, I find that just using the marquee select while in window mode to be the easiest solution.  Just take a look at the status bar and if it shows you have more then one window you know you have duplicates.

You can also control or shift select the objects one at a time as a group (as opposed to marquis selecting.  Hold down shift, select one, select the next, select the next, etc. until you have them all selected in any particular area.  Then hit Control + X (cut)...any remaining objects are duplicates.  Delete the duplicates and then hit Control + Alt + V (paste hold position).