Selling plans as a draftsman

nick66

Go to solution Solved by DavidJPotter,

Can someone explain the process for selling a set of plans out of state that might require an architect to stamp off on it? Is that my responsibility or the buyers?

I live in Oklahoma and they dont require an architect signature under 2 stories. So thats what I'm familiar with.

Nick66,

You should be aware that "plan stamping" is generally illegal in virtually every jurisdiction I know. Some states allow a relatively loose standard of "responsible control," others require that the drawing actually be done by the architect or an employee of the architect. (Not even by a subcontractor.) There may be architects stupid enough to stamp someone else's plans, but finding one may pose some challenges. (Yes, I'm aware that some of you think that just about EVERY architect is that stupid, and so it shouldn't be hard at all.)

Nick66,

You should be aware that "plan stamping" is generally illegal in virtually every jurisdiction I know. Some states allow a standard of "responsible control," others require that the drawing actually be done by the architect or an employee of the architect. (Not even by a subcontractor.) There may be architects stupid enough to stamp someone else's plans, but finding one may pose some challenges. (Yes, I'm aware that some of you think that just about EVERY architect is that stupid, and so it shouldn't be hard at all.)

The problem might be finding someone that in the particular state. He can also have an engineer stamp the plans, that actually does the calc's required. He can mark up a set and you make the changes like structural, beam sizes, shear walls if needed. It's legal, I've done it for 40 years.

I would say as a minimum you would have to disclose that the plans where not drawn by a licensed Architect and depending on what state the purchaser of your plans resides in the plans may be required to be thoroughly reviewed or re drawn by a licensed Architect as well as needing Engineering.

PS: You may want to include that you will correct any plans marked up by an Architect and licensed Engineer.

here in NY an architect/engineer can review and stamp the pages

it is perfectly legal

http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/arch/archguide-a2.htm

in DC/MDVA they only needed to do pages that involved engineering etc

other pages could be signed and submitted by the builder

as Richard stated the requirements vary per jurisdiction

so call the local permit office and ask what the requirements are

Lew

The problem might be finding someone that in the particular state. He can also have an engineer stamp the plans, that actually does the calc's required. He can mark up a set and you make the changes like structural, beam sizes, shear walls if needed. It's legal, I've done it for 40 years.

Exactly.   The answer to the Op would probably have been better stated that your best option would be to have the plans engineered by a licensed PE.  They then seal the drawings and no architect required.

I have worked with some that do it several ways.   Some annotate my plans by hand and I transcribe their notes and then they seal my drawings. 

Others make their own drawings as "S" pages and seal those and the "A's" require no seal.

Others make their own drawings as "S" pages and seal those and the "A's" require no seal.

This is really the only appropriate and "safe" way to do it. (assuming the jurisdiction doesn't require an "A" seal, too, which it may.) If an engineer affixes his/her seal to drawings labeled "Acme Drafting Services" there is a good chance that they are guilty of professional misconduct. Also, many states have provisions that "responsible control" means that the engineer was involved all of the way through the drawing preparation process. (i.e. marking up and getting revisions to a set of completed plans doesn't cut it.) Now, obviously, a building department doesn't know exactly when an engineer gets involved. Nor is a building department likely to report possible misconduct. It will get reported by a disgruntled client, or maybe another engineer who doesn't like "plan stamping," and then there will be an investigation by the Board of Professional Engineers for that state. You will find engineers who don't understand their own professional licensing laws, and THINK they can just review and stamp someone else's plans. This is a state-by-state analysis, and no one should make any assumptions.

• Solution

Most of the above responses are just people's opinions (worthless), talk to Vince Kunasek as he has been selling plans for years, his advice would be more useful to you than others opinions and biases.

It  is to be expected that others would tend to discourage you from doing what you want to do by placing barriers and questions in your way. Just talk to Vince and do what you want to do.

DJP

Most of the above responses are just people's opinions (worthless), talk to Vince Kunasek as he has been selling plans for years, his advice would be more useful to you than others opinions and biases.

It  is to be expected that others would tend to discourage you from doing what you want to do by placing barriers and questions in your way. Just talk to Vince and do what you want to do.

DJP

This is just getting another opinion, and the advice of "do what you want to do" is grossly irresponsible. Just read the specific state laws yourself. They aren't that hard to find and understand.