I am really getting fed up with Chief crashing.

AndyGump

Not only crashing but it recently tossed out my User Library which really ticks me off. 

I have been using the frickin software for seven years or more, I know what not to touch and what not to do and Chief throws out my most important library.

Thanks a lot, just freaking great.

Andy.

Not for nothing...but I use Chief on a few different machines, none of them "top of the line" and I honestly can't remember the last time Chief has crashed. I only bring this up, certainly not to rub your nose in it, but so that you can know if it's a Chief thing or a hardware issue.

Good luck.

Andy:

what ver of windows are you running ?

what ver of Chief are you running ?

have you talked to CA's tech support ?

I agree with Joey, if Chief was crash-prone we would be hearing from other users about it

I rarely hear someone posting about crashes

my use of Chief is minimal so I can't help/guide there

Lew

Andy

I had a similar issue which I thought was tied to the move to X8.    Tech support tried very hard to help, but could not track way.  I started examining crash reports under the "Event viewer".    With some googling, I found that I had a few corrupted files within windows somehow that were causing this.  I saw other people with graphical type programs were experiencing similar crashes with similar corrupt files. 

I tried manually deleting and reloading these files from a command prompt but it was not working....  Faced with the option to have to do a clean install, I thought of something MUCH simpler to try.

I created a new user account.   Chief was already installed of course so I copied over a few plan files and after a few days, I realized I had no crashes.  (and this was coming from 2-3 a day!)

So, it was VERY easy to just copy all my "User" directories over and I just killed off the old account.

Problem solved and never looked back.   Should be something easy for you to try.  Worked for me.

I like the others have been using Chief for a long time and use in every day all day long into the evening and like DJP I use to have crashes and it has been so long that I can't even remember which version, since then Chief has been very very stable for me and I always upgrade to the latest version since Chief is used for my business.

Last time I had crashes I couldn't zero down, Tech sent me to these articles, and creating a new user account is listed as something to try.

Windows - https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03049/

Mac - https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02940/

I also have an automated backup of any changes made to my Documents directory which the Data folder is in, and I believe that's where the user catalog is.  I've never needed to use it for Chief though.

Recently, Chief would crash 2-3 times a week. All while accessing the libraries. It would only occur under certain circumstances. Example: If I had one or more camera views open as well as the library preview window open, and clicked on something with a high surface count. I was only on the phone with Priority Support form5 minutes before we discovered it was an out of date graphics card. I updated it and Chief has been running smoothly ever sense. Sometimes when it would pop up and tell me to update it, I'd be so involved with my work that I'd forget it even existed. Learned my lesson. Give Chief a call. Maybe I missed it, but did you explain under what circumstances Chief crashes for you?

I am using the very latest version of Chief X-8, all up to date. As to the crashes, I will wipe my drive and start all over again with a fresh install of both Windows and Chief.

Chief dropped my User Library for no apparent that I can discern and when I go to re-install the saved library from My Documents this is the message that I get.

How can it be that my library items can not be read by this version if they were saved in this version?

WTF?

Andy.

post-96-0-96959700-1475164481_thumb.png

I am using the very latest version of Chief X-8, all up to date. As to the crashes, I will wipe my drive and start all over again with a fresh install of both Windows and Chief.

Chief dropped my User Library for no apparent that I can discern and when I go to re-install the saved library from My Documents this is the message that I get.

How can it be that my library items can not be read by this version if they were saved in this version?

WTF?

Andy.

Why not try the new user account first?  MUCH easier and you can do in 5 minutes.

Your issue is not a chief one.   It is your PC.   As frustrated as you are, misdirecting it to Chief is silly.   WHEN you get it fixed, it will be the same version of Chief running just fine on your computer.   I've been there.  Try the new account first.