Open multiple Layouts

Christina_Girerd

I'd like to be able to open more than one Layout file at a time.  I know there is some reason that Chief hasn't wanted us to do that - I can't remember why at the moment.  The main reason I want to open multiple layout files is so I can easily copy and paste between them.  If I'm in a plan and select "Send to Layout" and have multiple files open, it shouldn't be hard for me to designate which one to send it to.  This is one of those "small things" but it frequently bugs me when I forget and get the message that I can't open another Layout file.

I believe that you can copy and paste but not with both layout open at the same time, so quite a painful process.  One idea would be if you are bringing things forward from older plans open them in their original version and run in parallel.  Or have multiple plans open and re export to layout.

I'd like to be able to open more than one Layout file at a time.  I know there is some reason that Chief hasn't wanted us to do that - I can't remember why at the moment.  The main reason I want to open multiple layout files is so I can easily copy and paste between them.  If I'm in a plan and select "Send to Layout" and have multiple files open, it shouldn't be hard for me to designate which one to send it to.  This is one of those "small things" but it frequently bugs me when I forget and get the message that I can't open another Layout file.

If you are not on a MAC,  I think you can hold down the CONTROL or COMMAND key while opening another instance of CA.

It has been discussed before.

I tried using ctrl, command or even shift to open a second instance, but that doesn't work for me.  Then I tried right-clicking on the icon and then left-clicking to open, which starts to work, but I get the warning message that it is not recommend to run two sessions simultaneously and it doesn't seem to let me get past that warning.  I'm running Windows 10.

Christina:

I just did it using Win 7 works fine

start the first instance of chief

then select the chief icon on the desktop

then hold the ctrl key

then left double click on the chief icon

it can be the same version of chief

or two different versions

you can probably have as many open as memory allows

Lew

Yes I just tried CTRL and left double click on the desktop icon with Windows 10 and it works.  However I have never had a warning opening two different versions at the same time the regular way.

Thanks Guys,  That could be quite useful. 

• 4 months later...
On 9/27/2016 at 7:01 PM, dshall said:

If you are not on a MAC,  I think you can hold down the CONTROL or COMMAND key while opening another instance of CA.

It has been discussed before.

On a Mac...

i was able to open 2 Layouts in Mac running X8 today.

try this....

do your opening file by Double Clicking on the Layout file in your Finder, instead of CA Open Dialog.

AND.... quickly Double Click again on the same Layout, while the 1st Layout is still in process of opening.

the trick is open the 2nd or 3rd layout before the 1st is 100% completely open up. 

try it and post your result.

Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 9.15.10 AM.png