Concrete joist ledge

AspenLeafCH

First time poster and a newB. I am now designing my second home in CA and have so far managed to figure out through all the great posts and videos how to do just about anything, but one thing I cannot figure out is how to create a foundation wall with a floor joist ledge that I can set floor joist upon like the detail shown below. My assumption is to create a pony wall, the lower section being a standard 8" thick concrete stem wall with a 4" concrete stem wall above, however I cannot seem to figure out how to manipulate the parameters in CA to set the floor joist on the newly created ledge? If you could show me the steps how to achieve this I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance for the help!Untitled 1.bmp

It is usually done like your posted detail in 2D CAD rather than 3D. It can be done in 3D but why would one do that when it is easier to do wholly in 2D?

In terms of 3D you just manually edit the framing and I suppose you could create a poly-line solid for the stem walls and footing. I consider doing that a waste of my time when the usual convention is purely 2D.

DJP

• Downvote 1

It's actually a pretty easy process. Make the foundation wall a "pony wall"  with the thinner of the 2 walls on top, and check the box for "hang 1st floor platform inside foundation walls" and you are good. You will need to set the heights accordingly, and manually place the P.T. plate below the joists, but again...pretty painless.

DJP: There are multiple reasons to model this situation correctly, not the least of which is so that the model is correct, and thus your details, sections, and materials lists are correct. And quite frankly, for someone that advertises to be a professional Chiefer, and to offer training and Chief help services for pay, I am more than a little disgusted that you would dismiss someone that is asking for the exact thing you offer. You don't want to tell him for free, fine...but to simply dismiss the request as a waste of time is appalling.

post-70-0-79642800-1474994237_thumb.png

• Upvote 5

A pony wall is the right way to go. The key is to set the framing to hang from the foundation wall, either by selecting all the foundation walls and using this checkbox:

post-95-0-44840400-1474994106_thumb.png

...or by setting it in Defaults>Walls>Foundation Wall.

The only thing that Chief won't do is draw the second sill plate - you'll have to do that manually:

post-95-0-71758700-1474994243_thumb.png

EDIT: Joey beat me to the punch.

There's a Chief training video showing how to drop the floorframe into the foundation, and even though it is from a few versions ago, it is worth watching.

The ledge detail is not covered, though, but that is just the pony-wall thing.

I've seen builds done with the detail done, no ledge, and the joists hung with top-mount hangers.  A guy we know who does the designs always raises the foundation where the front entry is located, so you don't have to step up to enter the house.  It's a feature I like.

It's actually a pretty easy process. Make the foundation wall a "pony wall"  with the thinner of the 2 walls on top, and check the box for "hang 1st floor platform inside foundation walls" and you are good. You will need to set the heights accordingly, and manually place the P.T. plate below the joists, but again...pretty painless.

Joe

Thanks for the tip.   It is funny, I have never needed this, and then the other day, I ran into a situation where this detail might be needed in a garage (to elevate the slab enough on a crawl to have only one step).    

I was not going to fully detail the area, but heck...that is so easy, I think I will.  It is a good exercise anyway.

Thanks so much for sharing!