CAD Line Length Label

NestNZ

Hello all,

I'm pretty new to CA, am currently using X7, and have come from a Autocad background.

I'm trying to find a way to move a CAD line label (as it interferes with a dimension to the site/plot boundary that I don't want to move), but can't seem to find a way to do this.

I figure I could turn the label off in the line spec window, but don't really want to do this, as I want to show the line length.  I could also just type the line length into a text box, but this seems like a work around.  I've had a look at macros but couldn't figure out how to make that work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tim

post-13907-0-91222900-1474924753_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your quick reply.  That's the sort of simplicity I was looking for...Unfortunately I don't seem to have that handle. Is it an option that you have to activate?

See the thumbnail for a look at what handles are available - all seem to be about drawing a new line, or changing the line, or rotating.

post-13907-0-85540500-1474926813_thumb.jpg

In X8 there are quite a few ways we can do that. You have less options in X7 but here are a couple that come to mind...

-Using a dimension with the invisible line type is one good solution.

-Using room dividers set to no room definition, placed on your CAD layer, and including a very simple macro in the wall label is another. This way you can move the label wherever you want.

• 1 month later...

Hi Michael, I have been looking into macro's and finally got back to this one with the Room divider label. This has multiple applications and possibilities but when you said "very simple macro" were you referring to a "Quadrant Bearing" macro label?

I know chief already has this programmed but we have no way to access that so we can use it our own way, or not?

I was able to get this far with a simple macro to convert inches to decimal feet "#{(length/12).round(2)}'" but the other is a whole different situation that does not fit my definition of "simple".

I can do it on my calculator but not sure I could write the formula in Ruby. I also like that these can be Referenced or Owner. Great for sticky situations like I always seem to get into.

post-4797-0-06946100-1478664544_thumb.jpg

Hi Michael, I have been looking into macro's and finally got back to this one with the Room divider label. This has multiple applications and possibilities but when you said "very simple macro" were you referring to a "Quadrant Bearing" macro label?

I know chief already has this programmed but we have now way to access that so we can use it our own way, or not?

I was able to get this far with a simple macro to convert inches to decimal feet "#{(length/12).round(2)}'" but the other is a whole different situation that does not fit my definition of "simple".

I can do it on my calculator but not sure I could write the formula in Ruby. I also like that these can be Referenced or Owner. Great for sticky situations like I always seem to get into.

To be fair, the OP was actually only using the length and so I certainly wasn't saying the angle would be "very easy".  Having said that, I think I could make it happen.  It would just require a global($) value in another object to set the "North" angle. 

I had not even considered including the North arrow direction into the formula. That just adds another level of complexity to the whole thing. If you think you could figure it out I would be very grateful as others would be as well I am sure. This part of Chief just seems to be a little lacking when working with complex surveys, and to be able to keep the labels live eliminates the possibility of error as I have found in so many registered surveys I have already worked with.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2016 at 10:30 PM, Chopsaw said:

I had not even considered including the North arrow direction into the formula. That just adds another level of complexity to the whole thing. If you think you could figure it out I would be very grateful as others would be as well I am sure. This part of Chief just seems to be a little lacking when working with complex surveys, and to be able to keep the labels live eliminates the possibility of error as I have found in so many registered surveys I have already worked with.

This came up again on another thread so I decided to go ahead and make a quick version of this for free.  I posted the tool HERE.  I didn't go so far as creating a ft.-in. version or azimuth/quadrant bearing version but those are possible as well...I just don't feel inclined to create those for free because they're not something I personally need and they would take a fair amount of time to write.