Adding stucco hatch pattern to elevation drawing

capitaldesigns

I'm new to Chief. I am using X-8

What is the best way to add a stucco hatch pattern to the exterior elevations ?

When I view the exterior elevations in black and white there is no hatch pattern on the walls.

I do a lot of remodels and addition projects. I like to show the new walls in elevation view with

a hatch pattern of dots. I leave the existing walls without a hatch pattern. This helps distinguish

new walls fro existing walls. 

Thanks,

Mike

If you want to have the same material texture for your render views for both new and existing works, create two materials with the same texture but make one with no pattern. Name them stucco & stucco exist. You can use the 'two materials' application for all your external walls & roof areas to distinguish new from existing.

I also like to then have two wall types, one for new & one for existing, each with the differing material applied. You can also have different fill for the walls to distinguish exist from new in plan view.

as Alan said try adjusting the spacing of the pattern of speckles & the line weight of the pattern to get the look you desire

Thanks for the help. I tried both way. I changed the pattern ant then the texture. Both work.

The problem I am now having is how do I save the patterns with a unique name such as stucco existing or stucco new so I can

use it over again on other projects ?

I drew four exterior walls with two walls being existing walls with no fill and two new walls with solid fill. I went into the perspective

view and used the adjust material definition tool and clicked on the new walls. I adjusted the material pattern per Davids example.

It put the stucco pattern on both new and existing walls in elevation view.. I want the stucco pattern to only show up on the new wall

in elevation view. What am I missing ?

Thanks,

Mike

Yes the Chief tricked you, Adjust Material Tool ( Teapot ) really only works for creating and adjusting materials.  So give a new name when creating or take another approach and open wall and go to Materials tab and select Exterior Surface and then Select Material. Then in Plan Materials you have options to Copy with new name and then Add to Library for use in other plans.

Have a Happy 100th and no more new guy ok. :)

Chopsaw 

The reason I say I am new is because I have only used Chief on 2 small addition projects.

And with those project I used Chief for the floor plan and elevations. The rest of the project I finished

in AutoCAD since I am more conformable using AutoCAD when drawing the site plan, framing plans

and details.

I did get a reminder on how convenient Chief is when doing door and window schedules.

I was just putting together a door and window schedule on a house I'm designing. My version

of AutoCAD does not do this automatically. It took me an hour and  half do do this. I made a

mistake in the numbering of the windows. Of course this had to happen at the beginning of

the schedule so I had to change all of the numbering in the schedule and on the floor plans.

In Chief that would not have happened. If some how it did and I had to remove window 2 in

the schedule, everything would have automatically changed in the schedule and on the plans

in a second. That would have sure been handy this morning.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Thanks Chopsaw. I followed your instructions and it works with the exception of leaving a vertical line between the 2 different stucco patterns as Perry said it would. Is there way to change the new continuous vertical line to a dashed line ? That what I us to show the boundary between the new and existing. Or should I just white it out with a solid white line, then draw a dashed line over the top of that white out line ?

Thanks again,

Mike

(semi-newbie)

I just stopped using a stucco dot pattern texture and use the same stucco texture for both new and existing walls, put in a fix request many years ago on this. I just draw a dotted line on the live elevation, that way you will not have to re-draw it all the time.

I just stopped using a stucco dot pattern texture and use the same stucco texture for both new and existing walls, put in a fix request many years ago on this. I just draw a dotted line on the live elevation, that way you will not have to re-draw it all the time.

This is my M.O.