Best Monitor and size to use

Evolution

My current 22" monitor is ok for CA normally, or when I'm doing larger CA projects, or working on other documents (take offs and bidding) etc., the larger projects really get hectic trying to look at them on a 22". Some one said go 60" and that sounds great (except of course for the price) but what about adjusting the screen resolution etc, and is there a Max-Min that works for YOU best?

How much of the decision is hardware / software dependent?  I am running CAX8 64bit on my surface pro 4 i7.

Thanks,

Bob,  I have a 24" main screen flanked by two 24" monitors set to portrait orientation so I can set up as many as 4 live views or use one screen for referencing e-mails or sketches etc.  All three are 1920 x 1080 but my next upgrade I would like a 27" 4K for my work screen as I would like a little more room but resolution is most important for me unless you want to get a great big monitor so you look like a bobble head on web cam.

One of my systems uses the configuration shown in my signature.  I have another that uses a 55" 4K TV mounted on a sloped desk top.  It's set up like a Drafting Table so I can stand or sit on a stool with my head tilted down.  This works much better because I can see everything without turning my head from side to side.  I have very little neck strain with that system than with the 3 smaller monitors.  I'm thinking about adding a couple of 24" monitors on the wall above the drafting table so I could have eMail & Chieftalk live at all times on one of them and have my Layout and/or a 3D Perspective displayed on the other - without covering any of the Plan on the 55".

I run 2 dell u2414 (24" 1080p) screens. I downsized from a 27" (1440p). I also have a 42" above the monitors but I rarely use it for pc work. My eyes couldn't deal with the smaller text on the 1440 anymore, but I do miss the real estate.

I just hooked up a dell uhd 32" (up3216Q) monitor and a 43" uhd tv this week.  The idea with the 32" was to get the library & aldo on either side of my drawing port, onto one monitor.  The tv is for template plans, views & presentations.  Happy with the monitor not so much with the tv (Samsung).  I replaced an older Visio that had a dvi connection that performed much better. 

I was able to get a couple hundred dollars off with dells' match price program - but I am embarrassed to admit to what I paid.

I just hooked up a dell uhd 32" (up3216Q) monitor and a 43" uhd tv this week.  The idea with the 32" was to get the library & aldo on either side of my drawing port, onto one monitor.  The tv is for template plans, views & presentations.  Happy with the monitor not so much with the tv (Samsung).  I replaced an older Visio that had a dvi connection that performed much better. 

I was able to get a couple hundred dollars off with dells' match price program - but I am embarrassed to admit to what I paid.

You must have an "HDMI" cable to get 1080p.Not sure about "DVI"

Has anyone tried a 21:9 ultrawide?   For someone with only one monitor this seems like it could be a sweet solution.  You could have a split screen or always keep your Active Layer Display Options and Library Open with all that extra real estate.

LG has one and others have them to, check this out here : http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM58-P-ultrawide-monitor

What do you think?

Using (2) 40" Samsung TV's - one is 4K and one is 1080p.  I am blown away by the clarity of the 4K.   In the past I've used (4) 27" LCD monitors, but the 40" 4K TV is even better.  I still like additional monitors for bringing up webpages or e-mail on the side, but for my main drawing screen I can't see going back to anything less than a 40" 4K TV.

Make sure the your graphics card can handle 4K output if you plan to go that route.

While we are on this subject I have a question, for my everyday work I have an Asus 28" monitor for the plan, a hp 22" that I keep my lib, layer displan options and project browser on, and a vizo 46" tv that is setup in the corner of my office with a HDMI cable for when clients come to view the plans on which is a duplicate of what is on my Asus screen here comes the problem when duplicating my screen the floor plans don't show up very well on the 46" tv but when I put overviews or elevation views they look great, is there some setting I am missing. I was thinking of switching out the 46" for a 32" but if this doesn't help there is no need to do that

Thank in advance

I've been using a 42" 4k UHD TV for about a year now in conjunction with a 27" LG monitor.  I have Chief with libraries and layers on the 42" and I keep e-mail, internet, reference information and so forth on my 27".  I've found that I don't like Chief full screen on the 42" I keep Chief sized to about 2/3 of the screen and use the other 1/3 for the library and layers, as for resolution the TV has a nearly identical pixal count (inch per inch) as my 27" It is truly wonderful to work on!  Should you decide to go this route one word of caution is to make sure your graphics card supports HDMI 3.0 so you can get the refresh rates up to 60hz.  It's not wonderful at all if you are watching refresh lines scanning across the screen!

• 4 months later...

I am thinking about investing in a monitor that has a 21:9 aspect ratio.  I think that would be great for my workflow.

On 9/23/2016 at 0:52 PM, Chopsaw said:

Has anyone tried a 21:9 ultrawide?   For someone with only one monitor this seems like it could be a sweet solution.  You could have a split screen or always keep your Active Layer Display Options and Library Open with all that extra real estate.

LG has one and others have them to, check this out here : http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM58-P-ultrawide-monitor

What do you think?

I'm using an older LG W2600H, left, a 32" Acer (B32HUL) middle, and a new Acer 27" (Model Acer K272HUL) right. Bought them all on sale and am very happy with them all. Great set-up for my work flow. I've thought about the wide aspect ratio monitors like the 34" LG but I don't like splitting the screen and having the menus switch and never really knowing which view is open. Much rather have separate monitors though admittedly I've never tried it. Would not even consider a 1080p monitor. Just not enough real estate for me.

monitor set up 2.jpg

I have a 24" main monitor and a 19" on the side, which seems to work fine for me.  You folks have some pretty impressive setups!  I'm especially intrigued by the 55" tv used like a drafting table.  That would be very interesting to see.  I have a funny image in my head of that large screen with a big T-square across it...   Thankfully I entered the profession just as those were falling by the wayside. 

Check an old post regarding SEIKI 4K TV's used for monitors. I have and 39" and a 42" that work great and are inexpensive. They make bad TV's (in 2015) because of the refresh rate which does not affect their use as monitors. I bought the 39" for under $400, then wished I would have bought an even larger one. (I came from a 27" monitor.) The 42" is better for me than the 39".  I cannot go any larger because it sits on my desk and a larger monitor would make my neck hurt because of the viewing angle. I moved all of the icons to the bottom which helped a lot.