Layer set control vs layer display

DBearss

Go to solution Solved by Joe_Carrick,

I have a plot plan layer set. While working on plot plan I turned off some layers in layer display options. When I want to go back to my plot plan layer set I find that the layers I have turned off in layer display options are now turned off in my plot plan layer set. Why would that be as it makes no sense in layer control management.

I have a plot plan layer set. While working on plot plan I turned off some layers in layer display options. When I want to go back to my plot plan layer set I find that the layers I have turned off in layer display options are now turned off in my plot plan layer set. Why would that be as it makes no sense in layer control management.

Hence the need for a PLOT  PLAN LAYER SET "WORK SET",  turn off layers will nilly in the "WORK SET" and it will not effect the PLOT PLAN LAYER SET which is the set the layout is using.

Layer sets and a layer display dialog for that layer set is only half of a solution. You should FIRST select Plot Plan Annotations which automatically then selects Plot Plan Set so any changes you then make are made only in the Plot Plan Annotations and Plot Plan Layer Set. You should, if you have not already, study the Reference Manual section on Annotation and Layer sets so that you understand how they work together to an efficient result.

DJP

I thought I had an understanding of the Annotation and Layer sets but I apparently got clouded from 15 years working in ArchiCAD where the layer display does not affect the layer settings. A plot plan "work set" seems like a reasonable workaround but am seeing that the annotation sets are the real control??

.....where the layer display does not affect the layer settings. ........

Great comment,  there was a thread not too long ago that was requesting that if we changed the layer  visibly for what ever reason,  it would not save the changes therefore not effecting what is in LAYOUT.

Great question,  another example of why we need the option to leave the layer sets as is while we are futzing with things.

Great comment,  there was a thread not too long ago that was requesting that if we changed the layer  visibly for what ever reason,  it would not save the changes therefore not effecting what is in LAYOUT.

Great question,  another example of why we need the option to leave the layer sets as is while we are futzing with things.

Amen.  Here's that thread although there have been others...

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/10288-layer-sets-should-change-only-with-a-save-button/?hl=%2Blayer+%2Bcontrol#entry89703

I thought I had an understanding of the Annotation and Layer sets but I apparently got clouded from 15 years working in ArchiCAD where the layer display does not affect the layer settings. A plot plan "work set" seems like a reasonable workaround but am seeing that the annotation sets are the real control??

Having used ArchiCAD at least as long as you have, I understand the frustration. Here are a couple of issues:

1) Unlike ArchiCAD, there is no "saved" layer set. You change a layer set on the fly, it simply changes it. There is no saved version that you can easily revert to. (Well, you CAN reimport it from a template, but that's not what you are used to.) The ability to have a saved, stable, layer set has been requested, but not there yet.

2) Annotation sets can globally change a number of things, which is quite useful, but they can only use the layer set as you've defined it. A plot plan annotation set will always chose the "Plot Plan Layer Set" if you've designated it, but if you change the "Plot Plan Layer Set" on the fly, the Annotation set will happily use the changed version.

With that being said, you CAN de-link the layer set from the layout set when sending to layout, so the view will stay in its own layout layer set. Then you can change layer sets to your heart's content, and it won't affect the layout version. This can be either good or bad, depending on your own thoughts about how you want to control things globally.