Details

Northriver

Shane, thanks for the reply. Where do you store all your details? In a separate plan file? I am trying to figure out way to store them for easy access. I have 12 24x36 sheets of detail and structural DWG files that I would like to organize some how for easy access. Each Engineer I work with always want "their" details included in the plan. 

Alan is correct too, I do the plan file method also. Details can be notes & disclaimers saved as cad details, or custom wall sections like for pole barns are detailed in a plan file and used on multiple plans. I have over 200 plan files for pole barn walls cross sections and details. Many ways to get info to layout.  

I keep everything in my library. I too have different engineers that want their own notes and details. I have a folder for each engineer. In the plans, I keep all details and stuff for the layout in cad details, then send those to the layout. Some are to scale, some are not.

There is something to be said for storing all of your details in a CAD Detail window, rather than the floor plan. The reason is that the CAD detail windows remember the correct scale (assuming that you set it under "Drawing Sheet Setup") and name, so when you send something to layout, it is automatically labeled. If you have details at many different scales, this should save time. Also, when you double-click on a CAD detail in Layout for editing, it will take you to the correct CAD detail with the line weights and line scaling set correctly. You can have one detail per CAD detail window, and they will list alphabetically in the Detail Management, so that if you are using a system like Uniformat II, it will be easy to find the detail. You can also have the details "pre-sent" to the Layout so that you can move details from sheet to sheet easily, as well as being able to print a "catalog" of your details.

I also suggest using your Layout to store all of the CAD detail windows so that the plan files don't get bloated. I like the Library for finding details since it can have hierarchical organization, but it is harder to place them directly onto Layout sheets from the Library. However, you might consider having a CAD detail window that is set up for "Window Details" at 3"=1' (say), and place details from the Library onto THAT.