Block Layer ?

ACADuser

CAD Blocks placed from the Library are automatically placed on the "Current CAD Layer". You can control what that is via Annosets or by simply selecting the "CAD" icon on the Toolbar and selecting the desired Layer there.

I prefer the Annoset method. B) Whatever Annoset I'm currently using has a corresponding Default CAD Layer.

Nope....

It might be a nice feature but the current method provides IMO more flexibility.  I can have a note in a block and place it on the appropriate layer simply by virtue of the Annoset I'm using.  In some cases I might want the same note at a different location on a different layer.

The bottom line is that having CAD placed on the "Current CAD Layer" really does make sense.

Sure.....

Only 1 "Current CAD Layer" per Annoset, but you could have 2 Annosets that use the same Layer Set.  Or, you can just select the "CAD" Icon and switch the "Current CAD Layer" before placing the Blocks.

btw, if you use Actual Symbols or Architectural Blocks, they will be saved in the Library on the Layer they were created on.  That might be a better solution for what you're trying to do.  Just make the Symbols very simple and assign your desired CAD Block as the 2D Block in the Symbol dbx.

Here are a couple more solutions if you don't like the idea of switching your Current CAD Layer...

1.  If you use a template plan or the save as method, place the block in a CAD Detail and simply copy/paste from the detail.  The layer definition will stick this way.

2.  Use a warehouse plan and copy/paste from that. 

If its something you're simply sending to layout and it doesn't need to show on the floor plan...there's no reason to even copy and paste, just send directly from the warehouse plan or the CAD Detail. 

Point is that as long as the block isn't being pulled from the library or CAD Block Management it will retain the layer setting.

Michael,

That is how I usually paste it. BUT the paste from copy does not show an image of the block. These two blocks are visually placed as the grip is in the center of the block & I want the alignment with the edge of the rebar block. The Go-Bolt block is also visually placed in the center of the wall at my digression. So I rely on the visual clue as to where to drop it.

Something so minor can be very aggravating to me. It seems so easy in ACAD.

I'll add this to the suggestion list.

The block should have a setting that allows it to 1) retain block layer or 2) use current CAD layer

Is there a down side to using Actual Symbols or Architectural Blocks as Joe suggested?

Michael,

That is how I usually paste it. BUT the paste from copy does not show an image of the block. These two blocks are visually placed as the grip is in the center of the block & I want the alignment with the edge of the rebar block. The Go-Bolt block is also visually placed in the center of the wall at my digression. So I rely on the visual clue as to where to drop it.

Something so minor can be very aggravating to me. It seems so easy in ACAD.

I'll add this to the suggestion list.

The block should have a setting that allows it to 1) retain block layer or 2) use current CAD layer

Is there a down side to using Actual Symbols or Architectural Blocks as Joe suggested?

A few...You can't simply use CAD work (those have to be built with 3D objects), you lose some iinstancing capabilities, and you can't select an insertion point...which brings us to your placement issue...

The block will place/snap the insertion point wherever you click during the paste process.  By default, the insertion point is the center of the CAD Block, but you can put that insertion point anywhere you want, even outside the block.  Should solve your problem if I understand it correctly. 

See picture of CAD file. I show the Rebar on both Foundation & Framing (& standard plan view 1st floor).

Go-Bolt only shown on Framing & Standard 2nd floor view.

In CAD I place all objects on separate layers similar to CA. Although the block comes in on the layer that it was created with. (That is controllable)

In CAD my block has a corner insertion point & I wrote a LISP routine (Ruby like) that allows me to pick the insert point & then rotate on 90 deg increments.

So user has a two click process to insert & rotate into position.

As you can see the Window in yellow (Zoomed in picture) is the place I want the rebar blocks. I pick lower left move cursor right & click to finish. Lower rebar I click the upper right intended position, move cursor left & click to finish. Thus rotating the last inert 180 deg.

With CA I can drop the block close enough when zoomed in on the wall but I must be able to see the block. The Copy & Paste method does not show the block where as the paste from library does show the block.

I then have to select using Similar block name & change the layer to "Foundation Rebar".

Then I copy all the blocks on the 1st floor plan & paste then in the foundation level plan.

That's my current practice.

post-2435-0-14885000-1474460989_thumb.jpg

post-2435-0-17038900-1474461000_thumb.jpg