Deck wall type confusion

sdsinc

I have a continuing problem trying to get the wall type for decks and railings to cooperate when I use columns.  The problem always is that I can't get the plan and render views to work together.  In the attached is closest I can get them to work but as you can see still not 100%.  The scenario is I want the railings to set in enough from the edge of the deck so when I place a column it sits properly ON the deck (not hanging over) and secondly that the railing will intersect the center of the column.  I have tried adding just an exterior layer which does work but it forces the railing to center on the whole assembly (not the main layer) and so looks incorrect in plan.  In the attached, I added both an interior layer AND an exterior layer which sort of works - it centers the balusters between the lines (nice) but for whatever reason it will not show the outer line (I drew it in RED to highlight where it should be).  The frustrating thing is that with this wall type the columns work great, the rendering works great, and the deck frames properly - but I cannot get it to show the outside deck edge.

Any thoughts?

post-317-0-88871400-1474315837_thumb.jpg

post-317-0-58616700-1474315844_thumb.jpg

post-317-0-87651800-1474315851_thumb.jpg

Holy Karoly........ deck  railing would be a great subject for a workshop.  For some reason,  I still do not have it dialed in correctly.  If you guys are  up for a railing workshop,  let me know and I will plan on it.   I have a feeling this  would be a great workshop.

BTW,  I have resorted to doing all of this stuff manually.  It does not take too long and it gives me complete control over column insets and railing locations.  I have a feeling GW and I will have some heated debates over the best method.

In this case I do wind up drawing the outer deck line in manually - but there must be some sort of graphical issue as to why the wall layers do not all show?  And if you look closely there are small lines at the corners on the interior - so this is something weird.  Kind of hoping the guys at CA will see this and say "hey, why DOES it do that?"

As SH pointed out the integrated railing wall tool and its settings are limited as to flexibility. It is OK to want what you want but until they make railing walls more flexible you just do what you must to get a particular result manually. Feature requests have been asked for but not implemented as yet.

DJP

Scott, This would be a great workshop because I think there are a lot of users that don't understand this. I'm in.

SDS,  I think you can create the results you are looking for with the auto decking features by setting up a single layer railing wall type that is 12" in your case.  The outer line is created by the main layer of the wall but still not sure where the inner wall line goes.

post-4797-0-35895000-1474320721_thumb.jpg

post-4797-0-98680200-1474320723_thumb.jpg

It would be great if someone who knows the ins and outs of railing tool to do a seminar or workshop. Hand rails are my greatest weakness in this program. I to cannot get handrails to play nice with columns. I usually end up drawing 2D on top of the elevations and drawing 2D details as chiefs rail tool is not very user friendly and the manual is useless in this area. It must be confusing to the guys at chief because there are no detailed videos on the subject.

So count me in too.

Thanks

Holy Karoly........ deck  railing would be a great subject for a workshop.  For some reason,  I still do not have it dialed in correctly.  If you guys are  up for a railing workshop,  let me know and I will plan on it.   I have a feeling this  would be a great workshop.

BTW,  I have resorted to doing all of this stuff manually.  It does not take too long and it gives me complete control over column insets and railing locations.  I have a feeling GW and I will have some heated debates over the best method.

Sign me up Scott... That is a good topic so  I'm definitely down.

P.S. If it's possible and if that works for everyone else to make that one day next week, this week is a little crazy here, nephew is getting married and I have 3 couples from all over the place stay in my house until Monday.

I think a railing workshop would be very helpful.  However,  before I schedule it,  I would like to make sure GW can join us.

Glenn,  would you be interested and if so,  I would like to do a skype session with you prior to the workshop to review a couple of things that have bugged me.  Glenn,    could we do a skype session,  just the two of us,  Friday sept 23rd at 4:00 pm pst  which would be Saturday Sept. 24rth at 9:00 am oz time?

If I can get together with Glenn,   I will try to schedule a workshop next week.  I think talking about stair railings and deck railings and balcony railings could be a good topic.  I will announce in a separate thread.