Display 2ND FLOOR ROOF

buzzsaw204

Go to solution Solved by HumbleChief,

• Solution

Set up your reference layer to show your roof from either floor on either floor. You can use the existing reference layer set or create your own specifically for roofs.

Go to >Tools>Reference Floors and set that up the way you want, or just click on the floor number in the floor change dbx and will take you to the same place. Select which layer you want to use or create a new and you should be good to go.

Select all the roof planes on the second floor and use the "display on floor below" tool.

It looks like a little arrow pushing down a gable roof.

Andy.

That is not a good idea unless you know what you are doing.  Specifically the roof framing will go to the floor below,  if that is what you want,  you are good to go.  Larry had the best answer,  use the ref sets.

Scott, what?

The framing will not go to floor below, the framing and roof planes stay where they are, the planes merely "display" on the lower floor which is what I think he is looking to do.

Maybe I did not understand what he wanted then.

Andy.

Andy,

I believe that Scott is saying that although the roof framing displays on the correct (original) floor in a 3D view (same as the roof), the framing will display on the floor plan level that it has been moved to.

That is exactly what I am saying,  and if I did not have to talk to Lynn when she got home 20 minutes ago,  I would of said that........  you guys know how it is........  we have to pretend that our wives are more important than Chief Talk........  oops,  I hope she did not hear that.

Give it a  play Andy,  check and see what level the roof framing will show on  IN PLAN depending on what level.  Do an experiment.....  add 5 floors to your house,  move the roof plan up 5  floors,  check and see what level it displays on.  

No worries, I understand what you guys are saying on this then.

I almost never show the framing from Chief as I think it clutters up the structural plan. I usually just show arrows for the direction and lengths of my framing members so I guess I have just never run into this situation before.

Andy.

That is not a good idea unless you know what you are doing.  Specifically the roof framing will go to the floor below,  if that is what you want,  you are good to go.  Larry had the best answer,  use the ref sets.

Scott is correct in that the roof framing will build on which ever floor you display the roof planes. At least it used to be that way. Don't know if it's changed. There actually have been times when I wanted to show framing on different floors in the past. Haven't  tried this in a while so I assume it still works the same way. 

Andy,

I think that you will find that it works like this:

Talking about 2D plan view only - not 3D.

With all the roof planes on level 1.

Build roof framing and display framing on level 1.

Select a roof plane and move to display one level up.

The roof plane polyline displays on the next floor up, BUT the framing remains on the level 1 floor plan. 

Rebuild roof framing.

The roof framing for the roof plane you moved up one floor, and now displays on the next floor's up floor plan.

In 3D, of course, the display of the roof planes and roof framing stays on top the level 1 floor - it is only the 2D plan display that is affected by this tool.