Fireplace opening

DBearss

I have placed a fireplace object but cannot figure how to create an opening in the wall. I searched the library and found opening objects but cannot place that either. Sure I am missing something simple.

thanks in advance.

how about using a  pass-thru or a doorway?

I've given up using fireplace objects with separate openings. Instead I use a window to create the "fireplace". It's a lot easier to position within the wall, and it cuts its own opening.

post-95-0-56243700-1473881473_thumb.jpg

Plus it's quick and easy to swap materials to get the firebox to look the way you want.

Wait. What? Y'all skipped over something here. Remember, newbie.

Am fiddling with a bifold and haven't found the pass through. So I discovered the "doorway" option. Duh.

Why would the bifold be an advantage over any other door?

Wait. What? Y'all skipped over something here. Remember, newbie.

Am fiddling with a bifold and haven't found the pass through. So I discovered the "doorway" option. Duh.

Why would the bifold be an advantage over any other door?

It really just depends on the fireplace. Sometimes you can use the actual window or door panels (frame, glass, hinges, handles, and all) to create your actual fireplace unit and not just as a hole to put a freestanding unit into. In the example I posted I was simply trying to recreate an actual site built fireplace that truly did have bifold doors.

I haven't done this but a person could even using window coverings (curtains) to recreate that mesh stuff that used to be so popular. A lot of possibilities.

Too bad we can't Block a Fireplace Symbol with a Pass Thru and then save it to the Library. Then when placed from the Library the opening would be auto-magic.

Note that you can however pre-define the Pass Thru and add it to the Library (name it FP Opening) and it will be available any time you need it.