Saved views in layout

johnny

If you really think about it, we currently send "Saved Views" to Layout.  It can be a combination of Layersets, Annosets, floors, and floor ref into a saved view that is encapsulated on the layout page.  However, apart from that one instance of the saved view there isn't anything that can be immediately accessed inside the actual .plan file to get to a view that contains all of the above settings. 

Is that true?  I realize we can save an annoset that turns on a certain layerset, but we still have to select the correct floor and then turn on the ref display....or is there some faster way to do this? 

I guess I was wondering if there was a way to do that inside the "plan" file alone...without the layout file.

No, the Plan (when you save it) is saved in the current state.  Only the Layout Box knows what the state was when "Sent to Layout".

btw, the Layout is a superb index in that regard.  I use it extensively.

Absolutely agree with Joe. If you've named your pages in such a way that you know what they are, you can essentially do the whole thing right in the plan as long as the layout is actually open by using your project browser. Double click on the layout page in the project browser and then double click on the view in layout. You're only in layout for a split second. Honestly don't see how it could get much quicker than that.

You can also even add a bunch of temporary/throwaway pages at the end of your layout for the sole purpose of creating an index of sorts during the rough design phase.

Actually, you could even put a whole bunch on one single page by just downsizing the layout box and using the label as your guide. Definitely quite a few possibilities though.

I guess I was wondering if there was a way to do that inside the "plan" file alone...without the layout file.

NO YOU CAN'T and this ticks me off.  What you are asking...  I think....  is can you select the anno set/  layer set/ ref set with one click......  no you can't.....  why not?  Because ref sets are not linked to the anno set........  if this is not your issue,  I apologize for the rant.

I try to bring this up every chance I get because without it,  my work flow suffers.

NO YOU CAN'T and this ticks me off. What you are asking... I think.... is can you select the anno set/ layer set/ ref set with one click...... no you can't..... why not? Because ref sets are not linked to the anno set........ if this is not your issue, I apologize for the rant.

I try to bring this up every chance I get because without it, my work flow suffers.

I absolutely agree with this is well. I don't think the layout method is slow, but it's much less flexible and versatile than what we would have with plan view cameras or at least ref sets being tied to layer sets.

1.  Annoset to optionally activate a Layer Set ----- we have that now

2.  Annoset to optionally activate a Layer Set and/or a Reference Layer Set

3.  Layer Set to optionally activate an Annoset and/or a Reference Layer Set

Note:  There's a little bit of logic that would need to be set up so that when they could all work together without stepping on each other - but it's all feasible.  OTOH, using the Layout to navigate handles all three already.

For my workflow I typically dont know exactly the page size/scale etc while I am working on the fundamental design elements of the plan.  Therefore, having to make a layout file serves as a "view" portal does seem cumbersome.  I do agree with you guys that this is something that should be handled in the plan file. 

I dont understand why this couldn't simply be accessed in the Project Browser.  After all, Chief has stored this data when its sent to layout, as evidenced in the existing functionality - so it should be a simple addition to the app.

Johnny,

Many of us have Layout Template(s) and Plan Template(s) already linked.  There are a series of views sent to Layout and a Page Schedule that exists - even though there might be little or nothing in the Model.  With both the Layout and the Plan open the views in Layout are being automatically updated as the Plan is being worked on.  Those Layout Boxes have at least the view name and scale displayed.  The Page Schedule is valid regardless if there is anything on a given page in the Layout.

Probably the easiest way to get started down this road is to save an existing Layout and Plan(s) as a "Project Template".  You can delete almost everything in the Model - but not Camera Views.  This will result in a nearly empty Plan but with lots of Layout Boxes in the Layout.  Personally, I have a Terrain Perimeter and a simple Site Plan and 1st Floor in the Plan File that provides a starting point.