Importing BIM's

Charlenerene

So I am looking at trying to import more files. Specifically Toto toilet files but I don't know where to save the files. Unlike the CA site they don't auto install to the correct folder. I have nosed around the directory but cannot find the files. Any ideas guys?

Again thanks for all the help.

what are the file types ?

if it is a file type that CA can import you should be able to drag and drop into a plan

then add to the library

you can also try MENU - FILE - IMPORT and try using the import wizard(s)

Lew

Toto only supplies *.rfa models, which are Revit native and not importable to CA.  Try searching Trimble 3D Warehouse for an skp or dae file of the fixture you're looking for.  You my also ask somebody here to open the rfa file in 3ds Max and export as 3ds or obj for import to CA.

jon

Odd, Toto said that the files work with all CAD programs

Chief is technically not a CAD program ....

Chief doesn't play in the .BIM pool

even tho Chief has some BIM capabilities

CA has so far determined that Chief doesn't need to be in the BIM pool

you will need to convert the files to a format that Chief recognizes

Lew

.rfa files are an AutoDesk Proprietary file format. They provide an API in their application to access data in those files, although I don't know how complete it is. For us to read them would require at having their software installed or for us to reverse engineer the file format. I would look into ways to export to a non-proprietary format, such as COLLODA that we can import.