Almost ready to send to my engineer...or not need one bit of roof help.

Aunttieem

I believe I am just about ready to send my first CA house plan set to our engineer for looking over and approval.  I do have one section of roof that I need help with.  I have tried everything that I know and still not getting result. May simply be because I have stared at it too long and need fresh set of eyes :) Need to fix it before exterior brickwork can be finalized.

The clients are required to have a 12 pitch roof.  Ceilings min. height 10 ft.  There are a few areas in the home where the ceilings are higher.  The rooms are labeled in my plan.  The area where I am having the roof problem is the corner on the right side of the house where the WH closet (ceiling height 10 ft) meets the bedroom 2 wall (ceiling height). Normally this would not be a problem, but I have made the exterior wall taller on the WH and bedroom 3 side as this wall is shared by the game room which has 11 ft ceilings (necessary for equipment going into that room).  

Also, if you notice anything else I am over looking before finalizing brickwork...I would love any help and / or suggestions.  I am a newbe to CA but love the learning experience and look forward to doing more work with it in the future for our clients.

Thank you in advance for any advise.  This is the BEST supportive forum I have experienced online, thank you!

Kim's FINAL FP - WITHOUT furniture_EXTRA_COPY.zip

Plan looks much better than last time I looked but there are still quite a few issues. Roof may be able to be fixed as Illustrated but lots of other stuff to check first.

I would suggest that you increase the overhang where you have 11' walls around the back half of the building such that you can match the "fascia top Height" of the adjoining roof planes. I think that would clean things up a lot and look better.

Go ahead and move the exterior wall of bedroom 2 to align with the bump out from the shower wall and it will look and build much better. You have a footing alignment issue at the right side of the front entrance. Attic wall alignment issue with gable end wall for Bill's Office.Still plenty of minor roof plane joint and alignment issues to comb over.

Lots more to do before Engineering. Do You Have a Layout File Made Yet? That is when all the bugs show up and you need to examine each view needed for your CD Set to be sure everything is clean and makes sense to build.

post-4797-0-99216900-1473755270_thumb.jpg

WOW....saying that there is a lot of work is an understatement.

I am not sure if you are just trying to draw your own home, but I would hate to think of someone putting so much money into this to build where the design is soo.......well, unrefined.

You have baths with tubs made all kinds of non standard sizes, wacky crazy dimensions in other rooms.  Odd to have a 5000+ sf home with 10' or 11' bedroom dimension.

All kinds of windows that dont meet egress

Wacky non standard room heights..

Really odd design in many ways....and the roof is, I am sorry, terrible.   Really a strange design.

Again, tough love.   I would hire a designer, or buy a stock plan that is well thought out.  You are going to spend quite a bit to build a 5600sf home.  I would hate to see anyone build what you have in that file.

• Upvote 1

Thank you Chopsaw. I will work on what you suggested.  

VisualDandD,  this is a custom home.  It is not a cookie cutter box house.  The client doesn't want large extra bedrooms. Not sure what you are referring to as wacky crazy dimensions.  This is what the customer has sketched out for us and I am just trying to doing as the customer wants whether it is my taste or not.  They do have some requirements for their HOA.  Minimum ceiling height is 10'. 12 pitch roof, etc... They want higher ceilings in a few of the "social" rooms.  That is up to them as long as they meet their HOA requirements.  That is why it is a CUSTOM home, not stock. Thanks anyway.

VisualDandD,  this is a custom home.  It is not a cookie cutter box house.  The client doesn't want large extra bedrooms. Not sure what you are referring to as wacky crazy dimensions.  This is what the customer has sketched out for us and I am just trying to doing as the customer wants whether it is my taste or not.  They do have some requirements for their HOA.  Minimum ceiling height is 10'. 12 pitch roof, etc... They want higher ceilings in a few of the "social" rooms.  That is up to them as long as they meet their HOA requirements.  That is why it is a CUSTOM home, not stock. Thanks anyway.

I had assumed that you were an individual trying to draw your own home.   I know "custom" homes, as that is how I have made my living for the past 20 years.  

OK....lets just start with basic design.  You have bedrooms with almost no bed wall.  Unless your clients who want a 5000+ sf home plan  on only using twin beds.   Or egress requirements....how about that.   A 26 50 wont meet basic egress requirements.    

Your roof looks like you  only know how to use an "auto build" function.   It is really bad.   I dont think you are doing right by someone to accept payment for something like this.   I am sorry, but that really looks like something that someone who know almost nothing of design would draw.

This may come off as impolite, but I really am blown away.   More power to you if that is the "service" you sell.    Lots of good trey details though.   It looks like you have invested a good bit of time to learn how to model decorative ceilings.  That is one compliment I can give you. 

• Upvote 1

I will first apologize for sounding like a parrot....I agree that if that is what the client wants, then do it for them even if the roof-line (even when drawn correctly) looks bad.  That massive peak in the middle just kills me.  Eric put an idea that I think would look better and as Chopsaw mentioned...put it to layout and you will most likely catch more items that you didn't see before.

As for the "wacky" dimensions, I did an auto dimension (since there were very few, if any dimensions, for wall framing) and the I see a lot of "sixteenth" inch dimensions.  The framers will not be happy to work with those.  I personally, try to keep dimensions as whole numbers...maybe half dimensions and worst case scenarios....quarter inch dimensions are the smallest I will go.  I do see what anything smaller would be required.

But definitely before sending to your engineer, you should check that all items are code compliant...such as egress windows.  In the sleeping rooms, you need one mean of egress...either door or window.  The window can be a 3050 SH window or a min 3068 door.  plus, I don't think your bearing for your FDN is lined up correctly.  There is a huge space with no bearing and there are exterior wall above that do not have bearing points below it.  

I concur with what a lot of the others have said.  Two more major issues I see  quickly are the garage and roof.  The garage is essentially a two car garage unless you use the bay in front of the door for a smart car or motorcycle.  The depth isn't enough for most SUV or pickup trucks.  Center line for the doors will be tight to open doors.

I would send this to a roof truss designer to see if this is even possible to build with wooden trusses.  You may have to go steel trusses.

Sometimes the customer is their own worst enemy.  This is certainly a case with other input as well......

Thank you all!   NOW, I will tell you that the home being designed is for my husband and myself.  He is a home builder. We have not "designed" homes in the past, but we have lived in more than I can count and know what we want.  I REALLY appreciate the help and suggestions.  This is my first CA attempt.  I have been reading and learning for a long time now and have A LOT more to learn.  I do respect each and everyone of you for your comments and suggestions.  I really should not have been nervous about letting you know this is a personal build.  My husband has been building so many homes for so many years, now it's time to build our own.

We do plan on having custom cabinets done where ever cabinets are needed, so that is why they are not perfect.  More like place holders. Choosing specs is completely different from "designing".  The plan has evolved many time over time.  More fixes to do and  adjustments to consider after reading some of your comments.  Thank you again, everyone!

Thank you all!   NOW, I will tell you that the home being designed is for my husband and myself.  He is a home builder. We have not "designed" homes in the past, but we have lived in more than I can count and know what we want.  I REALLY appreciate the help and suggestions.  This is my first CA attempt.  I have been reading and learning for a long time now and have A LOT more to learn.  I do respect each and everyone of you for your comments and suggestions.  I really should not have been nervous about letting you know this is a personal build.  My husband has been building so many homes for so many years, now it's time to build our own.

We do plan on having custom cabinets done where ever cabinets are needed, so that is why they are not perfect.  More like place holders. Choosing specs is completely different from "designing".  The plan has evolved many time over time.  More fixes to do and  adjustments to consider after reading some of your comments.  Thank you again, everyone!

My suggestion would be to have someone go through it and nit-pick everything it in.  Just go for structural items to show.  On my plans, I don't show furniture and such on the CD's.  I will do it for customers so they can have an idea of what it would look like, but not on the final plans.  I do the same for cabinets....I will put something in for a place holder, but let the cabinet pros do there thing.  I just give them the overall length to work with.  Overall, this looks good for your first go at CA....still a lot of things to work on, but overall good.

This seems to be a pretty good sized house. Is there no walk-in pantry? I'd have a walk-in pantry before I had a golf equipment room. Couldn't you add a closet in the garage for the golf equipment and then make that room the pantry? Just a thought. Also, I would revisit the master bath. Too claustrophobic feeling to me. Why close off one vanity area from the other? 

When I designed our house I sent my plan to 4 different people for review. Jay on the cape is dead nuts on. I did some really stupid things and received some really good feed back. Sometimes you just have to ask for some feed back no matter how much it may hurt you pride.