Parapet roof connection

DBearss

I have built a parapet wall with the railing tool with the railing set as a panel. Part of the parapet wants to connect to a shed roof above. Also odd that the wall at the opposite end of the parapet does not connect to that roof. Am a newbie so i might be missing something obvious.post-11414-0-89029500-1473707726_thumb.png

What ive done for parapet walls is use 1/2 walls on the attic level.  I then setup ceiling framing to act as the roof and then denote slope etc.  1/2 walls dont connect to the roofs, and you get a nice cap on the top of the wall if you want.

Looking at your pic, you may want to make a custom wall that had siding on both sides of the parapet as well.

OK tried that and fiddled with attic walls and got it to partially work. Not sure what is going on here at the lower roof.

So why is this so difficult? Why cant I simply select a wall and enter in the height I want it to be?

post-11414-0-08689400-1473720809_thumb.png

OK tried that and fiddled with attic walls and got it to partially work. Not sure what is going on here at the lower roof.

So why is this so difficult? Why cant I simply select a wall and enter in the height I want it to be?

Chief's logic isn't the same as other apps.  In Chief walls are a means to an end - and the end being a "Room".  Rooms are "king" in Chief, and you need to think of walls as as merely the mechanism to create a room...and a room is where the main control exists.  This took me some time to wrap my mind around, since you must consider ingenious methods that aren't intuitively obvious in order to model certain conditions.

Your Parapet wall is trying to enclose the room since 9 times out of 10 that is what the user wants the wall to do.   I have to admit, there are speed gains in this logic - but takes some getting used to.

As for the railings - yes, that is a method that will get the visual you want - however the 1/2 wall would give you more correct framing models if that was important to you.   You can manually set the height of a 1/2 wall, and a 1/2 wall won't automatically build to the roof plane.

Johnny thanks for the kind and helpful insight. The rooms concept is definitely sinking in and I even came up with a way to use rooms in a crawlspace to step the footings. Starting to come together.

Using rooms in a crawl space to step footings, now ain't you clever, thanks.

As for the railings - yes, that is a method that will get the visual you want - however the 1/2 wall would give you more correct framing models if that was important to you.   You can manually set the height of a 1/2 wall, and a 1/2 wall won't automatically build to the roof plane.

Johnny, Thank you for explaining how rooms are "King" in Chief. It is refreshing to hear your perspective comparisons from your experiences in other software.

Just to be clear it seems that you are saying that 1/2 walls are different from railing walls but 1/2 walls are just specially predefined railing walls with studs and drywall.