Typical hourly rate

sconnor707

Can you all provide some typical hourly rates to charge for drafting/chief architect work? I am an independent contractor and would to get some feedback on rates.

I looked through the forum and could only find one post that quoted $25/hr.

THANKS

These day ,I would get whatever you can, I never charge by the hour but by the job, that way I can do it faster and make more money and there is no problem with the customer complaining about your hours spent.

You will get what you pay for.  Depending on the capabilities of the person you hire and the type of work, you can expect to pay up to $100 per hour - or maybe a bit more.  Several (probably most) of the power users charge $80-$100 per hour.  There are some Chief users that may charge as little as $25 but you might be disappointed in the performance.  The power users are much faster and have their systems fine-tuned to produce as much quality work as possible in the shortest amount of time.

The rule of thumb is take your wage amount and multiply by 3 to establish a billing rate. This generally allows for overhead and profit needed to operate a firm. If you are a free lancer without a formal office, you charge much less and you bug the heck out of us trying to run a firm. Bug the heck - I'm trying to be polite....

rate can vary vastly from location to location

some charge by hour, some by flat rate, some by sqft

I never did sqft

but would quess-timate all three and then give estimate based on

the combined info - not sure I ever got it "right"

one suggestion is to find the local rate for garage mechanics and basic plumbers or electricians or other trades

but if you are just starting out then charge less until you establish experience and a reputation

then move towards the higher rate

never, ever work for free or vastly reduced rate

I did my first project for free - never should have done that

I should have said if it goes to permit then pay $x

Lew

Way too many variables.

Where do you live?

What is your experience?

What are you doing (drafting, designing, coordination, submitting plans, planning commission meetings, extended research...)?

Who is your clientele (builders, home owners, developers, the internet)?

Are you experienced with the software?

How hungry are you?

Do you own a boat?

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I charged $25 an hour as a freelancer, in 2005. Sorry to bug the the "firms" but that kept me off welfare for a while. The hours were great, too. That price got you the 3D model and visuals only, not permit-ready prints. Definately not enough to run a growing business on, though. In a cheap area it would take almost twice that and in a major metro area, three times.

A huge thing to consider is how good you are at what you do. Seems to be totally diregarded by some people. One person may only be worth $25.00 an hour depending on how fast and knowledgeable he/she is. Another guy may know a lot more, have a lot more predawn details, and may be able to get the job done 4 times as fast. So that person may well charge $125 an hour and be the better deal.

If someone asked Bryce what he charges per  hour,  110.00/hr,  that might scare the perspective client away.  But believe me,  I would rather pay Bryce 110.00/ hr than somebody 35/hr and he is no good.  You really get what you pay for.  So what should you charge?  How good are  you?  Are you as good and as quick as Bryce,  if so,  charge 110.00/hr.

I ain't in Bryce's league,  somewhere along the road he raised his rates higher than mine.....  nice job Bryce.....  but I bet Bryce is worth the money.

I quote a fairly high fee,  and if someone goes somewhere else,  I am in a pretty good position now that I do not care.  I do not want to be the cheapest guy on the block.  So funny,  I used to be proud of the fact that I was the cheapest guy on the block.....  and it worked okay for me......  I mean how much does it cost to furnish the underside of a freeway overpass.

After we pay our dues,  it's time to reap the rewards.  Some of us have been paying our dues since the Magna Carta was written....  is that you JC?  I have been around since the Declaration of Independence was signed......  

..... I do not want to be the cheapest guy on the block.  So funny,  I used to be proud of the fact that I was the cheapest guy on the block.....  and it worked okay for me......

I mean how much does it cost to furnish the underside of a freeway overpass.

LOL! I don't remember which of the first astronauts it was.

Alan Shepard, I believe, who when asked what he was

thinking while sitting on top of a rocket about to be launched

into space replied that he was thinking that the rocket had

been built by the lowest bidder. :huh:

BTW, I think I'm beginning to see why your internet connection

is so slow. Time-Warner isn't going to upgrade service to that

overpass any time soon. ;)

look around your area and see what garage mechanics charge

and skilled handymen and basic plumbers and other trades

then consider your skills for the services you offer

then charge a getting started rate with the intent to raise it\

after you have a few projects completed and have a proven track record

keep track of your bid success percentage

if you are getting 60% or  more of every job you bid on - you're rate is probably too low

if you are getting less than 30% - you're rate may be too high

or you stink as a salesman or have bad breath or ???

Lew

• 1 month later...

We have a design-build program that charges $110 per hour in Northern VA. When it began we charged $50 during the solw down years 2007-11. We make money on designs but the real reason for the fee is weeding out clients that don't want to pay for services. We've had clients eat up weeks of our time pricing internet homes and as soon as you ask for a dime the're gone so we started handing out the design agreement at the first meeting setting the tone as a serious business.

I want the client to respect my time and efforts and we'll treat them and their family like gold. Otherwise we'd prefer they move on....

$125 per hour, plus engineering and t-24. Full docs ready for permit. No extra charge for permit cycle corrections. Base price [minimum] $4,200.00 for additions, $2,800.00 for interior renovation/remodel. Additional services to add would be contract consulting, project supervision/consulting (construction phase services), permit acquisition, contractor/sub-contractor review, or actual contract for construction by us.