Psycho dimensions

Geyatautsilvsgi

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

Ok guys, I need some help. :wub:  I have a two story plan I am working on. The first floor dimensions are correct and locate themselves accurately as I intend them to. The second story dimensions are another story. I have several critical dimensions that are accurate and are locating as intended. However, all my other dimensions are acting psycho :wacko: ... not locating themselves where they I need to be which is the framing layer. I was up til 11pm working on the plan, I have gone through the knowledge base on the CA website, I have gone through every default set up, every preference setup, even reset everything to default to no avail. The second floor dimensions are not cooperating. :angry:

So my question is:

A. Has anyone else encountered this and if so what did you do to solve the problem?

B. Does any one have any suggestions that may not be listed in my comments above?

Quick response needed and all comments are appreciated Thank you.

I have always found the dimensions to be accurate. My models on the other hand.... And so I often do what Richard suggested. I force a dimension to be what I want by drawing a small cad line parallel to dimension extension , move the dimension string to that cad line end point and then adjust the cad line with the dimension string. I almost never do this with a wall but often do it for set back lines and other items that need a dimension but not model accuracy.

If you have walls that are not correct when dimensioned, you probably have walls in the wrong location.

Sherry, tried that many times, doesn't work.

Joe, tried that numerous times this morning. Before and after resetting my defaults etc.

Alan, walls were automatically aligned when floor was built using  "build new flr command"

I'll try again, but may wind up using Richards idea. I've done that before...it'd be a lot of lines...

I'll give it another try and see if something works. THANKS to everyone for all their suggestions.

FYI, I scrapped the entire 2nd flr(after making  backup) and started over...same thing. :(  I don't know for sure, but do you all think the stud size will make  difference?This project is a complete remodel inside and out.  The house was built in 1911 and used true 2" x 4" studs which are throughout the 1st floor. the second floor which which will be ripped up will use mainly nominal 3½" studs. Will the stud size make a difference in where the dimension locates on the surface? The upper wall was made as a "new wall" in order to use the same siding even though the studs are different. Any thoughts?

Alan, Oh I have...to a point. I haven't given up...or started pulling my hair out either...not to mention I am asking for help.haha, I am going to try and upload my plan to my drop box for those who might be interested.  It is in its rough stages...it decided to delete my rim joist between the first and second floor after lunch. I am beginning to think the plan is possessed. Anyway, I am positive it is something easy...something I missed in my late night fatigue.  So, if anyone looks at it and wants to see if they can find a solution, more power to you. I am going to dinner. I will check back later or in the morning. Thanks and good luck. :)

Walker 0-Modified.zip

Alan, Oh I have...to a point. I haven't given up...or started pulling my hair out either...not to mention I am asking for help.haha, I am going to try and upload my plan to my drop box for those who might be interested.  It is in its rough stages...it decided to delete my rim joist between the first and second floor after lunch. I am beginning to think the plan is possessed. Anyway, I am positive it is something easy...something I missed in my late night fatigue.  So, if anyone looks at it and wants to see if they can find a solution, more power to you. I am going to dinner. I will check back later or in the morning. Thanks and good luck. :)

Jaquilla.... \your plan is a mess.....  I picked it up within 30 seconds....  the wall between existing/bed/office and garage do not line up.... 

you are dimensioning between finished surfaces,  not smart,  you should dimension  between framed walls,  also I see that some of your dimensions are as accurate as 13/16" and 3/8",  a mess,  1/2" accuracy at the most...  I also noted the invisible wall between living and landing of stairs at first floor does not line up....  not good..... I am not surprised you are having issues........   in some wall definitions you have the exterior finish part of the main layer,  not good,  part of exterior layer....  not good...

Jaquilla,  I see you are using ref sets,  but you are not paying attention to the info the refs sets are giving you......

this is basic stuff Jacquilla.....    you need to go back to CA 101 and learn how to define wall types and learn how to dimension plans which will help you locate the walls......

the  review maybe a bit harsh..... I apologize if I have offended you.

And  back to what is important....  how do you think the Chargers will do this year?  Tennessee looks good,  Marcos M. is a super quarterback.  You guys in Tennessee may have a fun year rooting for your team.

• Upvote 1

.....    you need to go back to CA 101.......

BTW,  when you go back to CA 101,  let me know,  I just may join you........  it's so funny,  I have been using this program for over 11 years and sometimes I am embarrassed at some of the basic stuff I don't understand....  i.e.  railings...........   it's a learning process and together we will be great.

• Upvote 1

Scott, I am not offended at all.Like I said it HAD to be something SIMPLE and I told you it was rough. I've used chief for 14± years. I do know how to define walls etc. I never dimension between finished surfaces, that is why this freaked me out. I did all the right things to try and correct the problem, but the more I tried to correct it the worse things got.  I guess between resetting so many different defaults and doing so many trials and error late at night..I basically screwed it up myself. Its a wonder it manages to stand at all. hahaha The house has knob & tube electric its so old. Some of the walls with exterior siding showing on the inside, still do, that is how the how is now, because other rooms have been added on without changing the siding etc. It has been a challenge to say the least. But I will get it right. Thank you very much for your critique. I'll see what I can do with the plan between now and tomorrow morning.

On another note, It takes more than a critical eye to get me riled. When a person has to stand still, with a straight face when the president of a company calls you a stupid b*#&! and worse... you learn to get a thick skin. 

Sorry, I am not a fan of football...I'll watch basketball or baseball any day.

• Solution

Jacquilla,

I won't get into the rest of the plan, just want to help you deal with the dilemma at hand.  Your main problem is right here...

post-46-0-27204300-1473391846_thumb.png

All your layers are main layers which means you can only dimension to the one side of your dimension layer, the center of the wall, and the outside edges of the wall. 

What your wall definition should probably look like is this...

post-46-0-21676400-1473392077_thumb.png

Now you can dimension to both sides of the main layer as well as the center and outside edges.