Perimeter wall problems - void in floorspace area

contractcad

I just upgraded from home designer 10 to X8 for the purpose of legitimate Architectural drawing packages so I am not a total newbie and I have an understanding of some of the basics.

I've already come across a couple of frustrations due to Chief Architect thinking it knows better than me.  I am making a CMU block perimeter wall with brick facing on 3 sides with the 4th side being exposed CMU.  I did short sections of brick wall returns on the CMU 4th side to have finished brick corners (and because that 4th CMU wall would always override the brick face walls into the corners - couldn't find a way to force the brick walls into the corners). I also have noted that the short returns I made have to be long enough to actually continue to exist, they will disappear if I compress them towards the corners with the 4th CMU wall always overriding.

If anyone has suggestions on how to control my attempts to blend these walls better please let me know.

Now my real question about all this is the WTF moment I've been having at the floor space of where the first and 2nd floors meet at the intersection of one of the two corners of what I have described above.

Screenshot 1 shows my plan view to give an idea of what I've described above, screenshot 2 shows the one elevation without the problem and screenshot 3 shows the elevation with my problem in the ceiling/floor area between the 1st and 2nd floor.

post-13787-0-52128900-1473344238_thumb.jpg

post-13787-0-49163400-1473344264_thumb.jpg

post-13787-0-60882100-1473344277_thumb.jpg

I've already come across a couple of frustrations due to Chief Architect thinking it knows better than me. 

Get out of your head that Chief Architect "thinks, has judgement, is an evil entity etc". It is just a mechanical device that runs from settings that you set properly or set wrongly, especially Edit-Default Settings but also every object has a dialog box with settings, check boxes, radio buttons and input boxes.

Get one or several wrongly set and you get chaos, get them right and sail along. Chief's automaticy is preprogrammed and you work with that, sometimes it helps, sometimes it does not. It is up to you to persist, study, practice until you get a good, detailed understanding of the actual cause and effect of settings and procedures to arrive at an outcome.

DJP

Sorry for not getting back to this in a timely manner.  I did end up solving the issue buy highlighting the wall and then draging grip boxes that appeared on the wall surface to close the void.  I solved it pick and guess, no ryme or reason so I still don't know why CA created the void in the first place (or why what I did to fix it worked either).

Now I have at least one interior wall intersection where the intersecting wall stud shows on the surface of the crossing wall and neither the trick I used to fix the problem above worked nor my attempt to use the material dropper to blend the stud out of the wall surface worked either.  I'll figure it out over time as I get used to CA logic.

Glennw: Your Thumbnail shows something similar to what I'm doing but I really want to have the brick show as flush on the return.