Importing CAD dwg Survey

Garreth

Hi all when I import a cad survey I tick all relevant boxes including keep line definitions and layer settings, however when clicking on a line ie survey contour line and opening the dialogue box it shows the line style definition unticked under layer colour style, the only one ticked is weight.

This is problematic in that when selecting certain elements of the survey for hiding or editing , you have to single out each item the layer settings become superfluous and it means additional time editing. 

Is there a solution for this.

I have attached an image file which shows the query.

thanks in advance :wacko:

post-962-0-99781900-1473392940_thumb.png

No image file attached.

It's very possible that individual entities (lines, polylines, text, etc.) within the original CAD data have attributes that are defined differently than the defaults of the layer to which they are assigned. I suspect this is the case, and that Chief is importing the contour lines correctly, but that the contour lines have been defined by the originating CAD program as having attributes (color, style, etc.) that are different than the layer's default settings. 

No image file attached.

It's very possible that individual entities (lines, polylines, text, etc.) within the original CAD data have attributes that are defined differently than the defaults of the layer to which they are assigned. I suspect this is the case, and that Chief is importing the contour lines correctly, but that the contour lines have been defined by the originating CAD program as having attributes (color, style, etc.) that are different than the layer's default settings. 

Hi Robert interesting?? I would have thought chief by allowing you to import the cad line entities would of had that that covered when asking if you want the particular layer attributes imported into the project.

I am still left asking why give this option??

Garreth

Garreth,

I don't have your CAD data to examine, but I suspect that Chief IS importing the LAYER properties correctly. It is also importing the ENTITY properties correctly; it just so happens that the entities (in your case a contour line) have been defined within the originating CAD program with attributes that do not conform to their native layer defaults. So within the CAD Data the "_Contour" layer may be Color "Blue" and Style "Dashed" (for example), but the contour line itself is Color "Red" and Style "Continuous". Here's the relevant Import Drawing Assistant dialog box page:

post-95-0-88559200-1473424471_thumb.png

Note that the checked option reads "Import all layer attributes into the current layer set." You can also choose to not import the layer attributes. Neither choice addresses the actual CAD entities (lines and such). If you want to be able to manipulate CAD entities during the import process (for instance, changing all entities to have the attributes of their assigned layer), then you can post the request in the Suggestion Forum.

Garreth,

I don't have your CAD data to examine, but I suspect that Chief IS importing the LAYER properties correctly. It is also importing the ENTITY properties correctly; it just so happens that the entities (in your case a contour line) have been defined within the originating CAD program with attributes that do not conform to their native layer defaults. So within the CAD Data the "_Contour" layer may be Color "Blue" and Style "Dashed" (for example), but the contour line itself is Color "Red" and Style "Continuous". Here's the relevant Import Drawing Assistant dialog box page:

attachicon.gifdbx.PNG

Note that the checked option reads "Import all layer attributes into the current layer set." You can also choose to not import the layer attributes. Neither choice addresses the actual CAD entities (lines and such). If you want to be able to manipulate CAD entities during the import process (for instance, changing all entities to have the attributes of their assigned layer), then you can post the request in the Suggestion Forum.

Thanks Robert.

Will have to investigate further.