Deck Problem

timmy123

I don't believe there is a built in way of placing "fascia" on the deck perimeter.  However, you can click on the deck room, make a room molding pline, and then assign any profile and material you want.  Check your cross section.  The molding pline will place the molding inside the room by default.  You can move the individual legs of the pline to move the profile to the deck perifphery.  If you don't want to use the room molding pline, you can turn any CAD line into a molding pline.

Hi,

I am new to CA so having some basic issues with the sides of my deck. Check attached image. I want it to cover with stucco or some other material. Where can I specify that?

Thanks a lot.attachicon.gifbalcony problem.PNG

Select the wall,  note that it is a deck railing or something like that,  simply change the WALL STYLE to a SIDING WALL or a STUCCO WALL,  that finish you are talking about comes from the WALL TYPE.

Another option a little different than Mike's suggestion if you just want a stucco material covering the deck outside perimeter rim joists is to just make a copy of the rim joists (copy outward) and resize as needed and then assign a stucco material to the copies.  Before you do that, if you want your deck planking to overhang the new stucco material, make sure to increase the planking overhang as needed.  If you go to room defaults > deck room, you can make some of your needed default changes there before you get started.

post-191-0-83216000-1401379105_thumb.jpg     post-191-0-72249300-1401379139_thumb.jpg     post-191-0-73431000-1401379161_thumb.jpg     post-191-0-28876800-1401379190_thumb.jpg     post-191-0-45510200-1401379216_thumb.jpg    

If you plan to use any of Chief's deck planking materials, you may have trouble having the texture pattern match up with how the deck planks are built (i.e., where the spacing between the planks are).  This may not be an issue for you unless you zoom in with a 3D camera ... then the mis-match of the deck plank texture and the actual deck plank spaces is very noticeable.  You might be better off just using a wood material from the library.  I have struggled trying to get the texture pattern to match with the actual planks and can't say I ever succeeded in that exercise.  To make matters worse, there seems to be two different pattern lines with the deck planking from the library ... one on the top surface and another on the ends of the planks.  I suspect that this can be resolved with much fussing but I don't have that much time or patience to mess with it.  The image below is showing an Ash wood material for the deck planks.  Looks good compared to the 3D view above with the library deck planking material.

post-191-0-11034600-1401379684_thumb.jpg

Nice advice Curt.... that Ash does look good too

Scott...wouldn't you lose your railing if you did that? and a wall would build?

No,  you would still have the railing,  you are simply defining the edge of deck surface,  give it a play. 

Is WALL STYLE an X6 setting? (vs Wall Type)

I thought if I changed the wall type after it was drawn as a deck railing , it would change to the new defined wall type but it didn't,in either case of a deck in my play plan above, the rim joist etc stayed as it was, is there another setting to check?

M.

Is WALL STYLE an X6 setting? (vs Wall Type)

I thought if I changed the wall type after it was drawn as a deck railing , it would change to the new defined wall type but it didn't,in either case of a deck in my play plan above, the rim joist etc stayed as it was, is there another setting to check?

M.

I don't understand the problem,  post a small plan and explain your question.

Then it must be something in the newer versions, all it does for me is change the width of the wall......3.5" railing to 4.5" stucco wall ,and hence the railing 

it does not apply the stucco finish to the rim joist automatically ,however I can change it to stucco in the 3D window if needed simply but I don't need to change wall type to do that.

Of course this is just my experience and may have something to do with another setting? wasn't trying to argue , I certainly aren't a Chief Guru......

yep the framing is built auto , but a few jobs ago I defined the rim joist to be white and it seems to now be the default even on this new play plan I did today , but aint sure right now how/where I did that....