Some wall types have gone.

ladycoralie

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

Hi all,

I don't know what to do about this. 2 of the wall types I use frequently, (ICF Stone and ICF Stucco) have disappeared from my wall types dbx. I have no idea where they are. They just don't show up anymore. I have made new wall types eg. https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02944/defining-a-new-wall-type.html

I have done this, but don't understand where the 2 walls that were previously there before I had to manually create them have gone. It's a bit of a drag having to create these walls whenever I start a new plan when they were an option before. I don't know what happened here.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Scott,

There are several ways to get Wall Types into a Plan or Template.  You mentioned Copy/Paste - Perry mentioned using the Library - which by the way has some additional advantages - but any such Wall Types won't show up in the drop-down until one is added to the Plan.

Scott,

There are several ways to get Wall Types into a Plan or Template.  You mentioned Copy/Paste - Perry mentioned using the Library - which by the way has some additional advantages - but any such Wall Types won't show up in the drop-down until one is added to the Plan.

I suppose I was trying to figure out why you suggested importing/exporting the wall type and if there is an additional advantage that I did not know of.

Is it safe to say,  the copy/paste or the add to library method would be  preferable to the export/import method since the export/import method seems to be the most complicated.

I suppose I was trying to figure out why you suggested importing/exporting the wall type and if there is an additional advantage that I did not know of.

Is it safe to say,  the copy/paste or the add to library method would be  preferable to the export/import method since the export/import method seems to be the most complicated.

Preferable is what works for any particular user.  The export/import and the copy/paste method immediately add the Wall Type to the drop-down menu.  The Library method doesn't add to the drop-down until that Wall Type has actually been used in the Plan.  Export/Import allows more than one Wall Type at a time - that has it's own advantages and possibly dis-advantages.

If I'm sounding like a politician :(

Preferable is what works for any particular user.  The export/import and the copy/paste method immediately add the Wall Type to the drop-down menu.  The Library method doesn't add to the drop-down until that Wall Type has actually been used in the Plan.  Export/Import allows more than one Wall Type at a time - that has it's own advantages and possibly dis-advantages.

If I'm sounding like a politician :(

Hi Joe. So I think I understand you. If I click on one of the walls I want from an older plan and then click on export, I can export it to another plan? Can the plan be a new plan?

• Solution

If I understand correctly what you're trying to do...

1.  Open an old plan that still has those wall types and draw one short section of each.

2.  Open a new plan (this should open your template plan) and copy/paste those 2 wall types into your plan.

3.  Delete the walls.

4.  Click on File>Templates>Save As Template.

You should be good to go. 

You can also...

1.  Open an old plan that still has those wall definitions and File>Export>Export Wall Definitions.

2.  Open a new plan (this should open your template plan).

3.  File>Import>Import Wall Definitions.

4.  Click on File>Templates>Save As Template.

This option may give you some unwanted wall types though as well.  I would personally just recommend the first option.

Or...

1.  Open an old plan that still has those wall definitions.

2.  Draw a short section of each wall type (if they aren't already in use), select them, and click Add To Library (in the edit tool bar)

3.  Open a new plan (this should open your template plan).

4.  Select the walls from your library one at a time and draw a short section of each in your plan.

5.  Delete the walls.

6.  Click on File>Templates>Save As Template.

The last 4 steps are optional and only necessary if you want the walls available in your drop down list.

If do as Perry suggested and add them to your library, any such walls will be available to easily select and drop into ANY plan in the future.  In other words, using the first 2 methods I spelled out above, the wall types would only be available in your template plan whereas placing directly into the library, they would be available to use in other plans as well.

And BTW, these are all options already mentioned by the guys above.  I was just trying to clarify and elaborate a bit.

• Upvote 1