DRIP STRIP IN 3D

cadstudio

I'm trying to show my drip strips in elevation and camera views like they are built in my country. Attached are some PDFs showing the details. Can someone please assist me in configuring the roof setup to get Chief X8 to do the drip strip this way? Thanx in advance.

Jay Sweeting

X8

EAVE DETAIL GABLE N HIP ELEVATION.pdf

EAVE DETAIL SECTION N FRONT ELEVATION.pdf

Jay, In the Build Roof Dialogue under the Gutter tab you can assign a custom molding profile to your fascia typically used for gutter but if you are not using gutter you can put anything you want there and it will be auto.  However if you also want gutter or if you need drip strip on the gable ends you will need to use a molding or 3D molding polyline.  If you get this to work ok post some camera views so others can see.

post-4797-0-28520000-1473180895_thumb.jpg

Chopsaw,

The main thing is to get that 1" extension of the drip strip and the roofing material over the drip strip. Right now this is one of the reasons I finish up in AutoCAD. I'm sick and tired of this marriage of Chief and AutoCAD and I want a divorce....lol.....

the drip strip extending I do sometimes when I have the time by copying the roof and extending the overhang by an inch or so depending on the pitch. I then make this new roof a symbol and place it ove my existing roof. WAY TO MUCH WORK. So I only do this when time and money allows.

This is so simple I don't know why Chief has never addressed it. Years ago I think I did make a suggestion - cant recall........

Chopsaw

The second PDF on the OP has the scaled section showing the dimensions and details. Its typical of the way we build here. The main thing is getting that shadow of the plywood sheathing extension over the top of the fascia board. With the drip strip in place properly IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE in the renderings and CDs.

Jay, This is about the best I can figure for now unless someone else has this all figured out with some tools I have not learned yet.  Attachment A Cross Section that can be set to build by default which displays well in 3D ( Attachment C ) and then a cad detail from view of cross section ( Attachment B ) that can be edited to look like you need without much effort. 

However if there is no solution that works for all scenario's then as David says maybe it is suggestion time and CA can take the list from the Build Roof dialogue of Options and make the Edge Flashing, Ridge Vent, Metal Drip Edge at Eave, Metal Drip Edge at Gable, and Valley Flashing function just as the first item of Gutter does in the 3D model and plan rather than just on the material list.

Hope that this helps you along with your divorce from Auto Cad.

post-4797-0-87358300-1473299778_thumb.jpg

post-4797-0-42599900-1473299785_thumb.jpg

post-4797-0-95260100-1473299790_thumb.jpg

Jay,  Sure glad we got that sorted out. Divorces can be messy.  I will post my X8 test plan that I did the mock up in and you can check out the settings I used and the saved cad detail and elevation view or I would be glad to spend some time with you on Skype if that would help. Just send me a PM.

Galv. Drip Strip.plan