Balcony over porch

MarkMc

Go to solution Solved by DavidJPotter,

This is another fine mess you got us into ...really out of my depth on this. I only have to make this all look correct- no condocs from it. Still I'd like to do as much properly as I can and I'm just a GCS. (glorified cabinet salesman)

1-Balcony over porch, railings and such?

Attached pic of elevation I need to get to, pic of what I have, along with plan in a zip.

I messed with railings on the balcony for a long time and finally gave up trying to get the uneven newel spacing and having the floor in the right place, or the ceiling of the porch in the right place, or a roof that I floated in there. and a few other things. Thought I'd learn how to do this-hah.

So finally used invisible walls, placed the newel symbols manually, then got some railings in there (I know they don't meet the newels properly)

So then I went to use molding plines to get the facia around the top of the porch, Not going to work with what I have going here.

Would really like to know how to properly do this please?

2-While at it-also attached are some pics for the second floor windows. In one case I can get the shutters to properly meet the window frame but then the sill is wrong. Can't find a way to change the material on the bottom of the window to match without changing the rest. In the other case I have the correct limestone sill but then the shutters are floated on the stone face. I settled on the former.

Just wondering if there was another option?

3-For the limestone lintels and for the limestone surround on the center window I used "Treatment-exterior millwork above casint" I'm happy enough with the results (short of z fighting which I can likely fix), but it was a bit of a bear to do-is there a better way?

Still working on the rest,was given the file-so far changed floor spec, and wall definitions and threw away the foundation. Will go after the interior once I get the rest setteld. TIA

post-85-0-05133800-1473111362_thumb.png

post-85-0-25436000-1473111378_thumb.png

2-While at it-also attached are some pics for the second floor windows. In one case I can get the shutters to properly meet the window frame but then the sill is wrong. Can't find a way to change the material on the bottom of the window to match without changing the rest. In the other case I have the correct limestone sill but then the shutters are floated on the stone face. I settled on the former.

Just wondering if there was another option?

There is no direct connection between how the shutters appear and the sill and lintel. You can set a window to attach to framing or not, for windows in masonry I use the inset setting. The Lintel and sill can be custom drawn molding profiles. You can draw them at different depths until you get just the right reveal. I usually draw custom molding profiles in a back clip cross section camera so I can visually control its depth, same thing for lintels until I get the right look. Trouble with shutters you two options, settings in the window specification dialog - shutters tab or manually placing them.

DJP

• Solution

1. ...Would really like to know how to properly do this please?

There is no "Proper way really, only other users opinions as to "proper". I have used railings and then added a slab to extend the floor platform and I have done as you have done. I use the method that just gets the job done. Perhaps others have their proper methods, the vital product is getting it done.

DJP

• Upvote 1

3-For the limestone lintels and for the limestone surround on the center window I used "Treatment-exterior millwork above casint" I'm happy enough with the results (short of z fighting which I can likely fix), but it was a bit of a bear to do-is there a better way?

The first time to do something is the "bear" time for us all, I think it looks nice, well done! You had a problem to solve and you solved it!. Others might offer other "proper" methods, I think you did peachy.

DJP

Thanks David.

1-I got something using slabs, I think I can make the rest look right. Don't think I could have gotten it to work without them-once I started pulling more dimension from the front elevation I discovered that the balcony is thicker than the floor-at least from the front. 

I'll have to go find a vid or something to understand what the automatic walls were doing, kept attaching to the railings and sinking the side ones down into the slab. Finally added room dividers around

2-Had already tried several custom molding profiles for the sill. Made a symbol for the bottom sill and placed it as a treatment, first floor is better, still not quite right on the second floor but think the detail isn't either.

3-Peachy- one of my favorite words :) I don't mind things being a bear if I learn how things work when I'm done-in this case not so much-just beat it with a hammer.

Thanks for the encouragement.