Pricing For Services

johnbds

I am new to Chief Architect, and so far love it.  I used AutoCad LT for years, and find Chief to be light-years ahead.  I am returning to designing and preparing primarily residential plans/construction drawings after a 10-year hiatus.   I am therefore out of touch with the current market pricing.  I would greatly appreciate any pricing information anyone might be willing to share, as I don't want to be way low or way high in my pricing.  Almost all my work will be done in Plumas County, a small mountain area in the northern Sierra mountains of California.

Thanks for any information you can share,

--John Cunningham

I charge $75.00 per hour which pays my bills but does not make me rich but I love what I do. I know others that charge more and some that charge less. You have to make what you charge your own decision based upon your needs. You then are responsible for promoting yourself, making yourself and your products known. You might also survey local designers and drafters in your immediate area. I think you will find that there is no standard, people tend to charge what they feel they are worth.

Get a website, get a facebook page, a houz page etc to "Make yourself known", do not wait for the phone to ring. When I first started my own business, I actually went to various building and remodeling company offices with samples of my work, introduced myself, said what I charge and left a business card. That worked for me, you have to find and keep doing what does work for you.

DJP

find out what your garage mechanics and other trades people get in your area

such as plumbers and electricians (non-Master) - skilled handymen etc

not lawyers, dentists, doctors

then charge less to get established then after a year or so

when you feel confident in your skill level raise them

never, ever do work for free to get the first job with a client

I did that and it was a mistake

collect a retainer for a few hours work - no more than one day

then as the balance approached zero - get another round

that way you can share work product and never need to get into "collections"

that is how lawyers work

I didn't like sqft pricing as a 2000 sqft house can be very simple or very complex

Lew

I know this doesn't help the OP much since he is in California, but thought I would share just for interest. In southern Indiana fees for drafting work and design work are approximately $0.50 per SF of heated space or $50 per hour. These fees are for a very basic set of plans (floor plan, elevations, and foundation plan) with very limited details. This doesn't include any engineering, framing plans, mechanical plans, etc.

Griffin -- What is included in the plans in the Michigan area?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If I charge Hourly on a project. I charge $150.00 hr. Remodeling plans, I charge $150.00 trip charge, then tell client how much fee will be after reviewing, measuring, and pics. (nomally, I give a fixed fee (figure how many hours). New plans $1.00-$125.00 s.f. Structural by others.

I have someone that emailed me over a 4 story condo pdfs of 4 floor levels and exterior elevations, that is under const.. They needs a 3D rendering. How would some of you guys charge on something like this? I will have to pull into chief and draw all 4 floor plan levels to do a 3D rendering. 

Chief x8, windows 10

For me the square footage price will stand unless you are just doing the exterior walls, than maybe less. I never charge by the hour, people I know want to know a final price up front.

Remember if they want a 3d view than you have to do parking ,plants and landscaping. All those things are an extra charge on my books.

3.00 -4.00 per sq.ft. in Bend Or. -structural is an extra.

New construction or addition remodel work- either way.

( I find that If I have to do and as-built it runs into as much time as creating a new structure from the ground up.)

Agreed with Perry on the pretty pictures- that's an extra.

I never supply color renderings with preliminary design- clients get too wrapped up in colors of counters or flooring and can't focus on the design elements that are needed to keep the project moving forward.

Once we have a completed design I can provide full renderings with all the bells and whistles they want to pay for.