Corner foyer modeling problems

GeneDavis

Go to solution Solved by DRAWZILLA,

Just wrapped up a job with a low entry "foyer" room at the corner of a taller main building.  The model was a mess at the corner, but I did workarounds to complete the docs.

What I do not understand, is how to properly specify the walls where the high building adjoins the low.  I used "roof cuts wall" to model things, but as for what the lower wall spec is where it is to be open, I just don't know.

I tried it with a less-complex roof for the low-room addition, plan file attached.  The model is not really "clean."  My snipped images point out the imperfections.

In plan view, I would like only a ceiling break line that divides the main big space from the low space.

What is the best wall type to use for the lower parts of these walls?  I used glass shower, but wonder if this is best.

Test corner foyer.zip

post-55-0-60673900-1473016853_thumb.png

post-55-0-85108300-1473016894_thumb.png

• Solution

Here it is fixed, had to play around with it, I guess the main thing I did was to add a 2nd floor (open below). just use invisible walls not a glass wall. Check it out and see if that works for you. I noticed the roofs reverted back to hips but you can fix that easily

Test corner foyer fixed.plan

Thanks, Perry.  Thanks, Ross.

I had tried the planview fix specifying the wall also as a pony wall, with room divider specified for the lower wall type.  That fixed the 2D part and gave me the look I wanted.

But Perry's trick of using a second floor, open below, takes the whole roof intersect thing and makes it a non-issue.  Nice clean model.

I did not check to see what happens, Perry, when you go about the surgery as you did.  Adding the floor must have blown the roof off.  If I was to model this structure from scratch knowing about this, I would add the second floor before building the roof.

To cement this all in my mind, I will go back and in a brand new plan, try it out with the barn-with-turret-foyer thing I did.

I always have a second or 3rd floor in in every model I do, weather there is one or not. My templates are set up that way.

For you newbies,  this is a very good tip.  No downside but plenty of upside.

P. "The Slab Man" still needs to go back to English 101....  weather or whether.........  but who cares.....  he knows his CA.  

Hey P.,  you and Penny still need to come out and visit with us some weekend.....  figure it out.......  we would love to see you guys for a weekend.....  

Spell check error--no user error, maybe. Yes we will come see you guys, When????, I don't know, we used to be gone every weekend but now we are just slowing down with age. As always, thanks for the offer though, love San Diego.  Penny is afraid her plants will die if she leaves the premises , she is growing our food. Some times I have to sneak around just to get some fast food, don't tell.

Oh, and I learned the floor thing from you, thanks.