Want this board sticking out to go away!

wkshank

Go to solution Solved by rlackore,

THANKS for that!  that did work.  Fortunately this plan doesn't have a second floor... if it did would that have messed up the floor level above?  (I first tried deleting that particle board layer AND adding that amount of thickness to the fir to make 9-1/4 become 10" for that single element.... interestingly that did not get rid of the board sticking out.  When I set the fir back to its original 9-1/4 (still without the particle layer) then the problem disappeared.  Go figure...

My solution only fixes the visual issue; there is a deeper underlying problem that the room volume below intrudes into the attic gable wall above. The floor plan indicates there are stairs going to the attic; is this a mistake? If you need the attic, then you also need the sheathing layer; unfortunately the position of the gable wall doesn't work for this - it needs to be moved to align with the perimeter edge of the attic platform. If you don't need the sheathing, then I would change the ceiling framing to something more realistic, say 2x6 joists instead of 2x10s. My point is that you need to figure out the design, because it doesn't work as is.

The issue is with the roof planes over the front porch area.

You need to cleanup the roof plane connections so that the larger gable isn't just resting on top of the main roof.

And the smaller roof plane on the left side of the lower gable, is cutting into the wall a little too much.

Instead modify the roof lines so that the gables can all be joined together.

Image with lines overlaid for reference.

The flooring disappears when this condition is met.

post-44-0-52835900-1472823452_thumb.png

post-44-0-81090600-1472823704_thumb.png

The issue is with the roof planes over the front porch area.

You need to cleanup the roof plane connections so that the larger gable isn't just resting on top of the main roof.

Instead modify the roof lines so that the gables can all be joined together.

Image with lines overlaid for reference.

The flooring disappears when this condition is met.

When I made that roof fix it didn't solve the issue for me:

post-95-0-07746600-1472824050_thumb.png

I must have missed something.