Best way to learn the business?

jmyers

The WFCM is an excellent manual if you can get projects to meet the prescriptive requirements. We don't know where the OP is based, but around here, I suspect that maybe only 1 in 3 projects would meet the wall offset requirements, as well as the requirements for solid panels at the corners. We also have to evaluate the seismic loads and compare to the wind loads, and use whichever is higher.

In the 90's and 00's until the crash most of my work were of the Cape Cod McMansion types.  We didn't get the 110 code here until the mid 00's so when doing the McMansions I didn't have to deal with it.  Now my business is more in the line of 3,000 sq. ft. production homes therefore I only have to send a handful a year to an engineer.

As far as full height sheathing in corners it's fairly easy here.  If you load up a wall with glass chances are there's no way in heck it will pass the energy code.  Speaking of which the new 2015 IECC is going to wreck havoc here.  One builder I do a lot of work for is estimating about a $5,000-$10,000 cost to comply per house.  The HERS rating is going to go from a 65 down to a 55.  Big changes.

Anyways, I see your point about shear wall calc's  but in my area it rarely affects the completed design other than adding hold downs.  Now missing beams or not leaving enough depth for a floor system will affect your design so that is why I recommended he learn about calc'ing structure to get an idea of what you're up against before you send it to an engineer (if needed).

I use the ASCE 7-10 for loads.  I also use the AF & PA NDS Table 11E for lateral design values parallel to the grain for anchor bolt req.

It is not that complex anyone can do this.

I see. So you go through the 16 steps here: http://www.ce-ref.com/Load/Seismic/ASCE_7_05_Seismic/ASCE_7_05_Seismic.html

And then distribute the seismic loads to the various restraining shear walls, calculate the overturning moment, and then design the holddowns accordingly?  Oh, and recalculate the beams with the correct omega overstrength factor when the upper shearwall is resting on a discontinuous element?

Here's a simplified guide to learn how to do it: http://www.ce.memphis.edu/7119/PDFs/FEAM_Notes/Topic09-SeismicLoadAnalysis.pdf

Okay, let's see a show of hands to see how many think "Anyone can do this.".... Next, we'll take up how to calculate connections and transferring shear loads through correctly sized chords.

EDIT: I think is instructive to see from the map that there are a number of high seismic zones in the U.S. Not just California. For example, southern Illinois and Indiana. Right where the OP is from.

• Upvote 1

A lot of cities and states work under older codes and just don't care about seismic, still. A lot of permits are given with just an architectural set of plans.

Wikipedia has an interesting article on the New Madrid seismic area in Missouri: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone, where thousands of deaths are predicted if the fault ruptures with an earthquake of a magnitude that was already felt there in 1811/1812. 

Building departments are doing a completely irresponsible job in preparing buildings to deal with this possibility. Many people probably will have to die to get significant changes implemented.