Wrapping wall finish at edges

olyconstruction

Hi Chiefs,

I am doing this small bathroom remodel project. In the rendering attached you can see that the edge of the interior wall next to the shower door has an unfinished edge, as does the 6" high walls I created to illustrate the layout of the bathroom. 

I know in Revit there is an option to wrap finishes around the edge. Is there such a setting in CA? I looked all over the wall dialogue box and did not see anything like it. 

If not is there another solution out there? I don't expect much for the 6" walls and their unfinished top, but I was hoping I could find a solution for the wall by the shower door, could it be the join condition between the 4" interior wall and the glass wall for the shower?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you!

AB

post-4666-0-02770300-1472660058_thumb.jpg

The wall finish on the shower wall should wrap the wall end if the wall is contained within a room.

If the wall is outside a room, the finish will not wrap.

For the kerb walls, you could try using a solid rail and assign the wall finish to the top rail.

Here is the plan file folks. The problem is in the top right corner where the blue 6 1/2" plumb wall meets the glass wall for the shower.  In the cameras under floor 2, there is a camera called bathroom view, that is probably the best way to see what I mean. For some reason the glass wall wants to cut into the plumb wall and cut it off. I want the wall to go just past the glass and show a finish. Whenever I drag the plumb wall forward it defaults back to its old position. Same when I try to drag the glass wall back. Could it be because the glass wall is a pony wall? 

I am going to try to fiddle with the room designation as suggested in the previous post. I am pretty stressed out because my boss wants this rendered and turned in by the end of the day!

GORTON - PROPOSED - 7-8-16.plan

There are a lot of things to consider when using walls in creative ways (like you have for the shower glass) and I don't want to get into all of it, but for starters...

Try getting yourself familiar with the Edit Wall Layer Intersections Tool. Specifically, for the plan in question, select the 2x6 wall, click on EWLI and then drag the MAIN LAYER back so that its flush with the inside face of your glass wall.

Hope that helps.

• Upvote 5

Yep. That's exactly why I spelled it out in the post just before yours.

It's funny, you got 2 points for making a video that just repeated exactly what I had just finished saying but I got nuthin'. I'm very seriously starting to question people's ability to read and comprehend anymore. If there's no video people just can't seem to understand. Not too encouraging...I probably shouldn't have wasted my time. But yes...great idea Perry, thanks for bringing it up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

......... If there's no video people just can't seem to understand. Not too encouraging...

Maybe not encouraging but very understandable.  Most people in this field are very visual,  videos are great to explain an issue and your vids are very good.  

Don't worry about the points,  who cares....  (well I care,  but nobody cares that I care),  BTW,  you have more points than I and I have 25% more posts than you...  so what are you complaining about?  I have always  appreciated your input.

• Upvote 1

Maybe not encouraging but very understandable. Most people in this field are very visual, videos are great to explain an issue and your vids are very good.

Don't worry about the points, who cares.... (well I care, but nobody cares that I care), BTW, you have more points than I and I have 25% more posts than you... so what are you complaining about? I have always appreciated your input.

I know you do Scott, and I appreciate you as well good sir. The points are a fairly minor detail although they do give a certain sense of satisfaction for an oftentimes thankless and underpaying job. My real point was that AT LEAST 3 people (judging by how rarely people distribute points I'd venture to guess the real number was much higher) either didn't take the time to read or comprehend my post (which wasn't all that complicated by the way) or they just chose to ignore it (pretty inconsiderate in a forum situation if you ask me). The points are just evidence to suggest the time I took writing it up may have been a waste of time is all.

It's really no wonder so many people have such a problem attaining any sort of mastery of this program. If a person can't read and comprehend the forum, the manual, or the help files then they're stuck learning from videos. It would take countless hours, days, and weeks of watching videos to gain what you could learn in a few hours reading and taking time to comprehend what it is you're reading.

I've noticed over the years that people seem to "understand" better when watching videos but there's plenty of evidence to suggest that they never really grasp the concept though unless they've trudged through and figured it out through hard earned first hand experience getting it done or by reading to comprehend. When a person reads something and puts forth the effort to really comprehend what the writer is saying, they're making a conscious decision to invest in learning something. They are very purposefully learning and it's more likely to stick. A video is very passive...you can much more easily fade in and out of consciousness watching and you don't have to put any real effort into learning. I've noticed that many people who require videos are some of the first to forget how to do it. They can't explain how it's done without pointing somebody else to another video and they're constantly re-watching videos because they don't remember how.

I'm starting to ramble so I'll be done. It's just kind of frustrating to go out of your way to help and then realize people aren't even reading it.

• Upvote 1

I think we all, at sometime, feel like you do, Michael. I just move on and chalk it up to "It's Their problem and glad I don't have that disease". I'm glad there are people here, like you ,to tell the story differently, Maybe then they will get it. It's all about everybody helping everybody.

I gave you some love Michael.  +1

However, this an interesting time to again make a point about Chief that is so unique.   As the OP said, in Revit (like in Vectorworks) the tools you would use identify with the operation (more so).  "Wrap Finishes" around an edge...a feature designed to affirmatively (that is the key word) complete the action that needs to be done..  In Chief, the solution is to manually edit the framing wall layer in a way that would allow Chief to automatically build the Sheatrock around the unfinished edge. 

That is a repeating scenario across many Chief's tools and operations.

post-75-0-90251400-1473379012_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

There are a lot of things to consider when using walls in creative ways (like you have for the shower glass) and I don't want to get into all of it, but for starters...

Try getting yourself familiar with the Edit Wall Layer Intersections Tool. Specifically, for the plan in question, select the 2x6 wall, click on EWLI and then drag the MAIN LAYER back so that its flush with the inside face of your glass wall.

Hope that helps.

Hey, I have the same issue. I have a wall with stucco EFIS system, I'd like to wrap the whole system. I tried this method, and only the top layer wrapped. Can I get all the layers to wrap? I attached a picture.

Thank you!

post-6044-0-54801400-1475498440_thumb.jpg

As Michael said "Try getting yourself familiar with the Edit Wall Layer Intersections Tool.". You have to work with each different layer using this tool and it is explained in the manual.

Just an FYI Michael. I read your post, looked it up and guess what??? It works. Never even looked further in the thread until today but would like you to know I appreciate the time many of the advanced users put into helping us.

Hey, I have the same issue. I have a wall with stucco EFIS system, I'd like to wrap the whole system. I tried this method, and only the top layer wrapped. Can I get all the layers to wrap? I attached a picture.

Thank you!

That situation looks a little more complicated and it would help to see the plan, but check these 2 videos out to see if you can glean any good info. from them (they're both really short). It's a little different situation but you might be able to use similar techniques...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syvgoRxbGDw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ewC5n4dv00

...specifically, I'm thinking the zero width main layer setting might help; otherwise, the next thing I would try doing would be to draw those layers as individual single layer walls that are just all sandwiched together. There are a lot of possibilities but I'd probably start out there. Again, if you attach the plan you'll probably get a better answer.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for trying to help. I just wound up making a wall without the stud layer and made like a little "room" Hopefully next time this comes up in a project I can use the regular wall and wrap the layers. Chief baffles me sometimes, things that should be easy to do, and there has to be a workaround.