lighting/ray trace help

freshrooms

I am having an issue with these light spots on the floor when doing my ray traces. How can I minimize them? I am adding point lights just to brighten up the images, I've tried lowering the wattage/lumens in the light data box, but that doesn't seem to help. What suggestions can you give me to improve?

post-278-0-52611700-1393349844_thumb.jpg

Kirk, I too am having this issue along the Raytrace taking too long.  I understand that to reduce the time I can save just the area that I want to Raytrace and delete everything else but doesn't that negate the point.  I am doing a simple kitchen Raytrace no Photo mapping and after 10 passes or 10 min. it still has not completed the Raytrace.

post-64-0-36381100-1393352138_thumb.jpg

Here are some articles that have a lot of information

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00010/

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00777/206/Chief-Architect/Lighting/Working-with-Light-Sources.html

And a list of lighting articles here:

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/category/206/0/10/Chief-Architect/Lighting/

As I understand it a ray trace can be run for as long as you like. Once you find it meets your quality expectations stop it and save the file.

If you don't find what you need in the knowledge base or find problems with articles let us know. There are always areas that can be improved.

• Upvote 2

Kirk, I too am having this issue along the Raytrace taking too long.  I understand that to reduce the time I can save just the area that I want to Raytrace and delete everything else but doesn't that negate the point.  I am doing a simple kitchen Raytrace no Photo mapping and after 10 passes or 10 min. it still has not completed the Raytrace.

As Dan_Park and Alaskan_Son have mentioned the ray tracer defaults to 'No Limit' so be sure to click the Stop Ray Trace option at some point.  :)

• Upvote 1

I am having an issue with these light spots on the floor when doing my ray traces. How can I minimize them? I am adding point lights just to brighten up the images, I've tried lowering the wattage/lumens in the light data box, but that doesn't seem to help. What suggestions can you give me to improve?

You may increase the U-V roughness of the floor material to 95 - 100% or change Material Class to "Reflective" with a reflection value of less than 5%.

post-121-0-14383200-1393360584_thumb.jpg

One of the reasons for this type of thing is having the light placed behind the camera, which can catch light being reflected off the surface in front of the camera. Moving the lighting to the side will help to alleviate this problem and it also provides more of the appearance of three dimensionality or depth.

One important thng to remember if you are concerned about the speed or processing time of ray traced images is to turn off shadows in all but the few lights that cast just the shadows you want for the effect you are after.

Edit:

I was finally able to reproduce what you have encountered. Once I was able to reproduce it even a 15W light was causing problems. Interesting that it would not be consistent. Jintu's approach worked, even at much lower U and V roughness settings. Will keep an eye on this to see if I can find out if there are other cuases as well.

• Upvote 1

I bet you 20.00 you have a bunch of lights on. Not referring to user defined lights but actual LIGHTS turned on.

Try turning all of your LIGHTS off and just use user defined light sourced.

• Upvote 1

Your raytrace seems complete as shown in your image. Michael (Alaskan Son) is correct -'If you have it set as "no limit", the ray trace will never "finish" ' :)

For my own edification....why does the program default to no time limit on Ray Tracing? When in fact it will NEVER finish the Ray Trace? Why not have it default to a minimum limit?

Just asking

You can setup your own Ray Trace profile and save it as your default ray trace profile and include it in your default template for new plans. :)

When composing the light for a ray trace, you may want to think about it from the standpoint of a photographer setting up a portrait. They carefully place lights so that the scene they are shooting looks they way they want. Ray tracing attempts to produce realistic lighting, but most of the time that is not what people are after.

These are my settings.  I don't have a problem with overheating or dust as I am very meticulous and clean my machine all the time.  I have seen better renderings by Wendy who says that she runs the Raytrace and it only takes her a max of 2.5 min.

Also why is is so hard to create a custom railing.  In this staircase I had to create to lower stairs just so one can extend outside the wall.  Then when I to create a railing it messed everything up and I just had to make my own.  The railing issues is a big deal to me that I think CA needs to fix and get right.

post-64-0-40804200-1393433757_thumb.gif

post-64-0-88642300-1393433773_thumb.gif

post-64-0-65379700-1393433940_thumb.jpg

Change your material specs for the floor to have the kinds of roughness and reflectivity Jintu advises.

Change every single light in this room to NOT cast shadows.

Turn OFF all other lights in the project, except for this room.

See how it looks then.  Lights that cast shadows should be used sparingly.

For my own edification....why does the program default to no time limit on Ray Tracing? When in fact it will NEVER finish the Ray Trace? Why not have it default to a minimum limit?

Just asking

This is a good question. I don't think it was answered. I believe the reason was that sometimes you just want a quick trace to see if everything is working but then when you get it set having to restart it at a higher quality throws out all that time you already spent getting things right. You can then just leave it while the trace continues to get better. When you are happy with the picture just stop it and save. 

You may increase the U-V roughness of the floor material to 95 - 100% or change Material Class to "Reflective" with a reflection value of less than 5%.

I thought this was a great answer,  have not tried it yet,  but it  makes sense. I think what Jintu is saying is if you emend these settings,  the floor will not reflect.  I did a vid on RT's,  and in the vid I kind of liked the reflection,  somehow I thought it added something…….  you know,  a little artistic license.

Did the OP try Jintus's suggestion?

Thanks to all who have replied this has been a great help.  I have been a die hard AutoCAD Designer for years and want to get away from it for the most part so this is a learning curve and I am still trying to make some Denero in the process.  Changing the material class helped bigtime as well as putting the light behind the camera.

OP out

Yeah, those shiny spots used to annoy me as well and I just learned to change the material setting from 'reflective' to 'matte' and problem was solved.

Now if someone can tell me why, no matter how hard I try, how many times I read the help directions/watch the training videos/check my settings, I can NOT get sunlight to come in through the windows to cast sunbeams.  

I mean, I can never get it to work.  It makes my renders look so flat.  Could it be something in my hardware?