Keeping lights on when not in the room

CarolynRose

Hi there,
I'm trying to do a Ray Trace of this room that has a Room Divider in it. The one section I am in is lit up, but the other is not. I assume it is because the camera is not in that 'room'. Is there a way to trick the camera into keeping the lights on in both rooms? I haven't added any lights; I'm just using the Default Lighting. So it's not connected to only having 8 lights on. I've looked all over for an answer to this question, but haven't found anything.
I've attached the view in Ray Trace. 

post-10123-0-64551200-1472567232_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Carolyn

It looks to be working properly. Just add some lights, there are no limits to the number of lights when Raytracing. The 8 light limit is just applicable to standard camera views.

Graham

I think I agree with this

Hi there,

I'm trying to do a Ray Trace of this room that has a Room Divider in it. The one section I am in is lit up, but the other is not. I assume it is because the camera is not in that 'room'. Is there a way to trick the camera into keeping the lights on in both rooms? I haven't added any lights; I'm just using the Default Lighting. So it's not connected to only having 8 lights on. I've looked all over for an answer to this question, but haven't found anything.

I've attached the view in Ray Trace. 

attachicon.gifUntitled 1.jpg

Regards,

Carolyn

Trick?  you want a trick?  Try this,   start the camera in the room that is dark,  and then back camera out of that room into the new room.  I think the camera will recognize light sources from both rooms.

I use the renderings more than the ray traces....  the renderings are pretty good and much quicker.......    point is, I am not quite up to speed with the ray trace capabilities.

I wonder if making the room divider wall type have "no room definition" would help you?

Most likely this will work,  but this may effect the room finishes and the ceiling heights...  therefore,  not a good solution unless you truly understand the ramifications.

Nice tip P.

I haven't run into this and wondered why (being I'm usually dog paddling with RTs) I recently did some RTs where I had room dividers around an island without having this problem. Went and played with that plan looking into other rooms. I took out all "light sources" (which I usually have in other rooms) and added some recessed cans, then tried some RT variations I had.

Photon Mapping appears to solve the issue but ..

It looks as if you do have Photon Mapping on?

are there actually lights in the other room?

Other thing (I got this from Jintu)-ambient light?

On another note- I'd love the settings for the material on that cabinet.

Ooh and another- is there a way to import Ray Trace settings from one plan to another?

post-85-0-41789500-1472656184_thumb.png

Here is the Photon results.

The first pic is my original from above posting.

The 2nd pic was run with Photon Mapping "ON", everything else is the same. This Raytrace took almost 3 times longer to render the same number of passes as the original. Notice that the overall scene is less bright and the recessed lights and under cabinet lights appear to be less intense. The in-cabinet lights are now more intense.

The 3rd pic is the 2nd pic with just a few adjustments made with the Image Properties in the Raytrace Dialog. Adjusted the brightness, contrast and intensity. If these settings are not enough then the lights will need to be adjusted and the Raytrace repeated.

In general, the Photon Mapping tends to soften the scene. Painted surfaces take on a slight mottled appearance. Properly adjusted the scene is most likely more realistic. The issue is, is it worth the extra Raytrace time?

Graham

post-4793-0-30898000-1472664067_thumb.jpg

post-4793-0-08363400-1472664076_thumb.jpg

post-4793-0-12960900-1472664087_thumb.jpg

I've noticed all you indicate regarding Photon Mapping. I really would like it to be a tad less soft- something between PM and none...

Interesting the difference with in cabinet lights (per our other chat)

Time-I find the setup more an issue than run time.

When I need RT's (occasional)  After setup and checking, I stack a bunch from a few views, run each with a 2-3  saved settings-with a limit to passes (20)-and go to bed :) The examples posted were all "quick" settings 1-3 passes, nothing for real.

Mark - Yes, I find the softness with Photon Mapping a bit much and definetly not worth the added Raytracing time. The softness can be easliy and quickly simulated in Photoshop by adding a slight Gusian Blur, takes about 1 minute.

As I have experimented, my Raytrace times have gone down while the quality of output has risen. The samples I posted are fairly high resolution, 2400 X 1200 px. The Photon off version takes about 30 minutes for 50 passes. At a resolution of 1200 X 600 the same scene runs in 10 minutes for 50 passes. Unless one wishes to zoom in or crop, there is not much visual difference between the two differing resolution. With the lower resolution I can usually tell within 10 passes (2 minutes) if things are going in the right direction. If I really need to move it along I could always knock down the resolution to say 600 X 300 bringing the Raytrace time down to about 3 minutes for 50 passes.

Graham