Why does Chief mess up terrain like this and what is best fix ... ?

basketballman

If your terrain is on level 1 and you have a cantilevered floor it will cut the terrain at the cantilever. Move the terrain to level 0 and it doesn't according to a few posts I read. I still have to try it though, so not sure it's the best advice but worth a try.

Interesting,  I have decided that level 1 is the best layer to put the terrain on.

Why?  Because if the terrain is on level one,  that would be the level the driveway would be on.  Why is that important?  Because if you have a driveway,  by using ref sets you can show the driveway on level zero  (foundation level)  and you can show on level 2,  just in case your driveway is on level 2  (i.e.  walkout basement on level one with the main level on level 2).

Now,  if CA   ever gives us the MMRLS,   (the multiple multiple ref layer sets,  IOW the SUPER MRLS),  we could choose multiple layers on multiple LEVELS to reference and therefore,  it would not be as important to put the terrain on level one.

But back to the genesis of the post,  I never use the HIDE TERRAIN INTERSECTED BY BUILDING,  this gives me the ability to do blah blah blah......  but what ever floats your  boat is the  best solution.

Scott's system of using Level 1 makes sense - but so does using Level 0. 

Most of the time (almost always) I only show Site Features (Terrain Objects) on my Site Plan and use the Building Footprint for the structures.  I don't like to show the actual Walls on the Site Plan but if I need to I can use a Reference Layer Set or even a CAD Detail from View.

Note:  I'm also using Polyline Areas with X-Hatch Patterns for Site Analysis and I have a Layer Set with those displayed so using that as the "Referenced Layer Set" provides a good way to include the Buildings.

So, I'm in the Level 0 camp for the Terrain.

If your terrain is on level 1 and you have a cantilevered floor it will cut the terrain at the cantilever. Move the terrain to level 0 and it doesn't according to a few posts I read. I still have to try it though, so not sure it's the best advice but worth a try.

A  valid point,  but I am not sure I think this will solve this issue.  Yes,  if you put the terrain on level zero,  any cantilevers at level two will not remove the terrain.

However,  suppose you have a cantilever at level one,  i.e. cantilevered bay/box window,  that will now remove the terrain that is on level zero....  therefore the solution does not work for all scenarios.

So I go back to putting the terrain on level one for reason's stated above,  and I manipulate the terrain to show how the terrain is truly built....  model it like it is built.

I never use the HIDE TERRAIN INTERSECTED BY BUILDING,  this gives me the ability to do blah blah blah......  but what ever floats your  boat is the  best solution.

Scott, do you turn off the terrain in section view? Leaving it on which I like, but don't like it showing in section views under the slab floors with it on using the hide terrain tool off.

Yes,  I turn the the terrain off in section view.  I would rather not,  but because I generally use a long FOCAL VIEW,  often times the terrain if  not flat,  shows more than I would want to see.

I suppose what I do is to have the terrain on to get the profile of the terrain at the line of section cut,  I then use a psolid fill to define the terrain,  and then I turn the terrain layer off.

Not perfect,  but the best solution that I know of.

Scott, if the driveway height is based on the terrain height does it matter which level it is on? I haven't tried it so just curious if it might or might nor work. I usually leave the terrain turned on in all the camera views to save myself a step and I have always used the hide terrain option.

I am probably missing an important point because I am not on the computer right now.

However,  suppose you have a cantilever at level one,  i.e. cantilevered bay/box window,  that will now remove the terrain that is on level zero.

No it won't. Try it. The automatic terrain hole is will be the same shape as the building perimeter of the level it's on. So if the terrain is on level 0, it will only make a cut out a hole in the shape of the building on level 0. Anything above will be ignored. The OP didn't post his original plan, so I'm not sure how his was set up, but if I had to guess, his terrain may have been on the same level as the blue siding portion of the building and he adjusted the elevation in the dbx. 

post-108-0-59160000-1472579494_thumb.png

No it won't. Try it. The automatic terrain hole is will be the same shape as the building perimeter of the level it's on. So if the terrain is on level 0, it will only make a cut out a hole in the shape of the building on level 0. Anything above will be ignored. The OP didn't post his original plan, so I'm not sure how his was set up, but if I had to guess, his terrain may have been on the same level as the blue siding portion of the building and he adjusted the elevation in the dbx. 

You are correct,  my bad.  

Here is the problem with putting the terrain on level zero...... the driveway will only be on level the level the terrain is on,  so if the terrain is on level zero,  you can only see the driveway on the level zero  (foundation plan),  I want to see the driveway on the main floor plan level  (level one),   so now to see the driveway on level one,  I need to use level zero as my go to ref set layer....  if I do that,  I cannot refer to the second floor with my ref sets....  i.e.,  cantilevered floors etc......  so....  that is why I choose to put terrain & driveways on level one.

Of course if CA gave us the MMRLS,  IOW the SUPER MRLS.  i would not of needed to waste 5 minutes of my time posting this.

Scott,

You can always copy/paste-hold position to show the driveway or any other terrain object on Level 1, Level 2, etc.  They will show in Plan but not in individual 3D Floor Cameras except on the Terrain Level.  One of the nice things about this is that you can control the line-style, layer, line-weight, etc for the copies.

Scott,

You can always copy/paste-hold position to show the driveway or any other terrain object on Level 1, Level 2, etc.  They will show in Plan but not in individual 3D Floor Cameras except on the Terrain Level.  One of the nice things about this is that you can control the line-style, layer, line-weight, etc for the copies.

So it is truly not "live".