Future decline in demand for designers/draftspersons?

jmyers

Graham, definitely history has defined the models and I hope I never work on a board or have to look at a paper copy of a spec again or go to the library, I like my computer. The days of cabinet filing stress notes that are not shared in FEM with the world for far better structures design than the past gone! People have to be qualified to run the software, drafters should not running FEM for the most part unless you understand statics and dynamics at a min.

MBD for example intent was to eliminate paper a green thing, company I work for now somehow managed to screw that electronic sign off process up and generates more design release paper work I ever seen since it was created, go figure! Others are so electronic they are disconnected hurting engineering, agree Graham. Manual J is nowhere close as accurate to CFD models like BEOPT and others, although they are based on it and it’s history. We have a big industry issues with microbials but thanks to WUFI more CFD(fluid dynamic) software from Germany that captured two plus decades of laboratory and field data inputted into the model we now understand it better, but we still have a long ways to go. Call WUFI they will tell you this is knowledge based software by users it takes interpretation of results and inputs are critical or the software fails as it has by predicting mold that never occurred at times. There is NO WAY we could do the complex physics and chem by hand calcs without it, if you ever tried you would know this, it would be much worse today. In the US, now PHIUS uses it and it has material properties we use here in it, and all the layers we use since Germany is primarily mono brick with breathable walls no vapor barriers and less issues. Joe and BSC was behind the US software rewrite. Agree, older designs, some not all, were better and got worst only lasting 25 years here in the US since the mass producing post industrial revolution. I have my own old school lime and earth based plasters, MGO concrete I been working with USA company Premier chemist on, very nice.

In addition, today, SAM thanks to NREL produces VERY accurate solar CFD based weather files from local towers and satellites and generates an accurate financially report to help you sell it to your clients. Forget drafting, want to make some money learn these CFD softwares hire into design firms as consultant contractors.

I find it all interesting and challenging. Just putting some food for thought out here don’t get too offended.

I was just yanking Richard’s chain a little since he likes to and Perry was the only one yanking back. Haha, it’s all good!

Just got word the construction loan for MBD Prototype # 1 is approved. Whoo Hoo! Corporate assignments end soon and will back on CA full time for a bit.

TGIF <- Hope everyone gets that one :)

Do you want me to email you the myriads upon myriads of pictures I could use as examples..?  I see way more crap design than I do good design...and yes, I do believe that is based upon lax regulation on who should be designing structures.

Id say its more an exception than the rule to see non-architects who know what they are truly doing.  To me it feels like back in the 90's where the transition from "Graphic Designer" to anyone with MS Publisher could call themselves one.  Software is making it too easy to BS....

Just like driver licenses makes everyone a great driver, or, marriage licenses make for great marriages??

Back in the GOD,  I wasn't making AMM as I am now,  but I did ETW.  I didn't NAM as I do now,  but somehow,  I look back OTGOD's with fondness.  If it wasn't for CA,  I would not MTM I am making now.  I remember back in '95,  me and P took up the challenge of WFHD drawing to working in CAD.  I have not looked back,  and I don't think P has looked back.  

And finally,  TGIF,  because tomorrow is Saturday and TWW starts anew for me.

• Upvote 1

(Future decline in demand for designers/drafts persons?) - so guys I'm back.

1969 i designed my first site of houses and bungalows, in the southwest of England UK.
computers/ calculators digital measuring equipment and mobile phones did not exist.
i drew my plans directly onto a transparent sheet and then went to my local print shop. but if i had to change something. it could be complicated.

but now saying that.-
it has been like that since the last 12 thousand years from building the Sphinx in Egypt
and even before 35/40 thousand years back to man's first mass production of agriculture,
where someone had drawn something on something or someplace like the floor to acquire an idea to pass on to be seen for others to understand.

someone had to get an idea across to someone else, which has never changed.
today the tools have changed but the concept still has to be shown somehow to help build whatever.
idea's are changing, the methods in which to go about somethings are changing, but some sort of data someplace, will always be.

today building are being built with 3D printing machines which eliminate builders as such. (which is another topic)
but these 3D print machines need a schematic or plan information to function.

if you are a licensed something or other. it is because you have passed a period of time on how to do something and should be better equipped to deal with any problem that could arise.

now saying that. it could mean that more time at something should be more experiences at what ever. but in our so rapidly changing world we live in. younger persons pic up new technology easily as that is what they are going up with.

but in everything that is changing today, a plan is still need.

I'm glad I'm an architect.

make some good plans guys