Save as PDF not replacing correctly

BryceEngstrom

This has been going on a while, and I am sure I sent it in before, but is anyone else having this issue?  I don't think I ever got an answer.

I go to Save as PDF in layout and want to overwrite an existing file.  It asks me if I want to replace, I click Yes, but the new file is the same as the old file without the new revisions to the layout.

So, I save it with the same name in a different location.  That works.  I try to move that file into the same file as the previous version, and it says I need permissions or something. I've tried to muck with those and it never seems to change anything.  So, I just delete the previous version (why will it let me delete and not simply replace?) and then move the new version into the file where I wanted it in the first place.  I know that part of it is a Windows thing, but Chief's PDF converter doesn't seem to know it's not replacing the file.

Annoying waste of time.

On further inspection, it seems like it might have something to do with having the file folder with the PDF files in question open in Window Explorer when you try and replace.  If I just go up one level in the file tree, so none of the PDF's in that particular file folder are being "previewed" in Windows Explorer, then the replacing happens correctly.  But Chief's PDF converter should  know it's not replacing properly.

I added some code to warn users if the pdf file did not save for the next update. If the pdf is open in a viewer, which is the default action after you save, then you are prompted to overwrite.

post-6-0-76125100-1393348627_thumb.png

We saw that because we always open the PDF file after saving into the default viewer that we were failing to save even after you were prompted to over write the file.

post-6-0-20425900-1393348725_thumb.png

The code should detect any save failure and warn you.

Tracking down what is causing the failed save is another trick! :)

I noticed a save not overiding previous file with same name. I reported to Brian, he said the new version will not overwrite the older version if the older version is not closed. He said he will incorporate code warning of this, I guess that is what Dan is referring to.

Do no knowt if this is your issue but to restate, the original must be closed if you want newer to replace older.

The old file wasn't "open" per se, as in a PDF viewer.  But just having the file showing in a file folder in a Windows Explorer window seems to be considered "open" as far as an overwrite goes.  The preview pane in Windows Explorer, I suppose, constitutes that file being "open", but that is rather counter-intuitive.

The old file wasn't "open" per se, as in a PDF viewer.  But just having the file showing in a file folder in a Windows Explorer window seems to be considered "open" as far as an overwrite goes.  The preview pane in Windows Explorer, I suppose, constitutes that file being "open", but that is rather counter-intuitive.

Yes, MS needs to address this at the OS level and they should have done this long time ago whenever they introduced file preview in the explorer. Other OSs deal with this much better. In OS X you can even rename or move an open file without any issues.  If you overwrite an open PDF file you can see the changes in the PDF right away without closing and reopening the file.

Yeah, don't get me started on that. I encounter the you can't delete that file because some unnamed other application has it open on an almost daily basis. Often I know why, but occasionally it is like a where's waldo hunt to figure out.

Every other OS does this right. That and the whole temporary files not getting deleted. If they are temporary they should go away, at the very least on a reboot. Every other operating system deletes them after at the very least a few days.

Yeah, don't get me started on that. I encounter the you can't delete that file because some unnamed other application has it open on an almost daily basis. Often I know why, but occasionally it is like a where's waldo hunt to figure out.

Every other OS does this right. That and the whole temporary files not getting deleted. If they are temporary they should go away, at the very least on a reboot. Every other operating system deletes them after at the very least a few days.

Yeah, that drives me nuts too.  I think this also is often the issue of considering the file being "used" as being previewed in Windows Explorer.  Yes, I know some other application is using it!  It's YOU idiot!