Start up costs for home based drafting business

jmyers

I am estimating an initial cost of approximately $15,000 to start a home based drafting business. This is to cover the cost of a computer, additional hardware, printer/scanner/copier combo, CA premier software, additional software, website, marketing materials, insurance, training, LLC formation, etc.

Am I in the ballpark with my cost estimate?

Thanks to all for the feedback!

Holy sh*t dude, what kind of computer equipment are you buying? Lol. $2,600.00 for Computer $300.00 For a good small printer. $50.00 for a mouse $250.00 for comfortable computer chair, and $2,695.00 For Chief. You're looking around 6g. Like Scott said. I mean later on in my business I ordered business cards ($50.00) and an Ipad Pro to show plans to clients in 3D don't remember the cost on that. above 1g.

website might cost $$$ if custom

if generic $ or $$

I wouldn't be a large-format printer use Office Max/Depot or some other print shop

create layouts - print to PDF - give or email PDF's to client let them print

have a clause in your contract that if they print that signifies they have reviewed and approved

I would plan on under $10K to get started then spend more as needed

Lew

I wouldn't buy a large printer. Staples or fedex kinkos can print large format.
I would get Canon PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II Inkjet Printer for $149.99 after rebate.

I paid $50 for mine. It does 13" x 19". Anything larger - staples.

As xHP employee I can tell you that many people got burned with large format plotters, as HP phased out drivers.

It is nice to own 10k plotter that worked real nicely with windows XP, and no driver since.