THE JPC/GRAEME Floor Level Workshop Wednesday Aug.24 at 4:00 PM PST

dshall

Here is a link to the embarrassment plan.   See if you can figure out how to remove the first floor walls that cover up some second floor windows.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pz0n2q7yjw7c0kw/JUSTICE%20PLAN%205A%20workshop%20a%20embarrassmnt%20plan%20a.plan.zip?dl=0 

If you drop the floor height of the deck over the garage as little as 1/4" the windows show properly - no idea why. Or raise it 1/4" same thing, seems to work but don't know why.

Any change in the floor height on the second floor reveals those windows. Curious.

Here is a small scale demo model that may promote some ideas for future versions, if for nothing else monolithic foundations. The 2D “PLAN” is in the 3D model it’s called a “sketch”(there are two superimposed on one another shown in tan and magenta) in CATIA this is used to create solids like chief does in different windows. The footing dimensions are linked offsets called ‘constraints' there is a tool bar for with different types, (ie: contact, fixed position, hole centerlines, etc) to the basement walls. If the basement walls move or change thickness so the footing offsets I constrain anyway I want or not at all. I like to since I think about the future if something were to change I don’t have to rebuild much, just change one linked dimension and tag “update icon” and the entire solid updates fast. I can move the plan sketch to any “floor” or level I want it doesn’t affect anything since the solid pad has start and end depths parameters in its DBX . I can send the plan/3D sketch to layout or any drawing or CAD view I want with no issues. Add a crawl space, mono, walk out, detached garage, a piece of cake. You can see in my specification tree I have access to all kinds of “parameters” like materials, density, to make the solids smart and I can add anything I want to the list or objects tree, there are macros that make it fast.

Just a cleaner easier way to see whats going on between the 2D plan, 3D model, and drawings IMO.

post-5962-0-83577900-1472140137_thumb.jpg

post-5962-0-50450300-1472140162_thumb.jpg

post-5962-0-09299200-1472140184_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

This is for Sherry just in case you missed something while you were off-line and Alan and Antoine and anyone else that missed the meeting or would like to see it again. This video file is 1:46 long and 805 MB mp4 so watch it now on OneDrive but if you would like to maybe watch it again later please download it and save a copy for yourself as it may not be available forever like when I run out of cloud storage space. Thanks again for hosting Scott. Thanks also to Scott Harris for participating.

attachicon.gifVideo.JPG https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjjmuSMVEle6hG3yysOBUg7vRyOi

P.S. There is one audio track missing from the video but it is only mine and I did not have much input. I think I can fix this for the next video.

Thanks so much for this. I will be able to go back and review all the things I missed because I couldn't take notes.

Hi everyone,

Sorry I couldn't attend the workshop but I was able to watch the video and have the following comments:

1.  I currently use Level 1 for the lowest floor that has usable space

2.  I use Level 0 for the foundation (slab or crawlspace) below Level 1

3.  I sometimes draw additional manual Foundations below Level 2

a. This is because I am often working on a site where Level 1 is a partial Basement

b. There are also times when a given "Level" encompasses a "Split Level Floor"

4.  I don't consider "Level" to be the same as "Floor Name"

5.  More flexibility in showing upper and lower walls (Pony Walls) would be a nice feature.

6.  More flexibility in showing "Reference Layer Sets" would also be a nice feature.

7.  The ability to rename "Levels" would probably eliminate a lot of confusion.

Sometimes it's easier to create 3-4 blank Floors and start with the main floor on Level 3.  You can then develop the floors below so walls align as needed.  If you only need 1 floor below the main floor you can easily delete floor 1 and everything above will move down appropriately.

dshall,

Here's an easier fix for your problem plan. Change the second floor roof deck room type from "Unspecified" to something like "Court." Fixed.

Yes,  if fixed the 2 windows at bath.  It did not fix the second floor window over front door.  

I do not know why you thought that would work is a mystery to me.  

I did change it to court.... which gave me a slab over the garage,  I then changed that floor structure for the "court" to ply over floor joists and it is still fixed.   Thanks Richard.  Now if you can fix my second floor window over the front door,  I will give you the choice of 2 of my 5 grandkids.  

I think this is some kind of exoteric bug..... or is that endoteric bug?

This is for Sherry just in case you missed something while you were off-line and Alan and Antoine and anyone else that missed the meeting or would like to see it again. This video file is 1:46 long and 805 MB mp4 so watch it now on OneDrive but if you would like to maybe watch it again later please download it and save a copy for yourself as it may not be available forever like when I run out of cloud storage space. Thanks again for hosting Scott. Thanks also to Scott Harris for participating.

attachicon.gifVideo.JPG https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjjmuSMVEle6hG3yysOBUg7vRyOi

P.S. There is one audio track missing from the video but it is only mine and I did not have much input. I think I can fix this for the next video.

Thanks Chop for recording this.  Listening to it,  there was some good stuff that might of come out of the workshop.......  i.e.,  the little nugget that S.H. gave us in regards to a new feature in X-9.

I was trying to figure out why your first floor walls were two stories tall in that location. In general, I think it is not a good idea to leave rooms as "unspecified." Just pick a room type that is close. For the wall over the front door, I changed room types in adjacent rooms, but couldn't find anything that had any effect. So, I would just pull down the top of the two-story first floor wall. It seems to stay.

Since it's not really an elegant solution, may I have my choice of just one grandchild?

.......Since it's not really an elegant solution, may I have my choice of just one grandchild?

Actually,  for not solving the problem you are required to take three of them.

", I think it is not a good idea to leave rooms as "unspecified."

​This should not be necessary...  but I hear you

", I think it is not a good idea to leave rooms as "unspecified."

​This should not be necessary...  but I hear you

There are actually quite a few structural and other qualities set by the room type, which can affect the model display. The Reference Manual pp. 335-336 has a good summary of these, which is a surprisingly large list, and worth reviewing.

There are actually quite a few structural and other qualities set by the room type, which can affect the model display. The Reference Manual pp. 335-336 has a good summary of these, which is a surprisingly large list, and worth reviewing.

Okay, so what quality does a court have that is different from a non specified room type that would effect the way the walls in front build.

I think I understand how different room types effect structure,  but what is the difference in this case?  

Okay, so what quality does a court have that is different from a non specified room type that would effect the way the walls in front build.

I think I understand how different room types effect structure,  but what is the difference in this case?  

A court/deck/porch etc. is an EXTERIOR room, whereas "Unspecified" is always an INTERIOR room. So with the wrong room, you accidentally might have an exterior wall extending "inside" the house. Also, it's possible that adjacent attic rooms might have an impact. Don't know.

Hi everyone,

Sorry I couldn't attend the workshop but I was able to watch the video and have the following comments:

1.  I currently use Level 1 for the lowest floor that has usable space

2.  I use Level 0 for the foundation (slab or crawlspace) below Level 1

3.  I sometimes draw additional manual Foundations below Level 2

a. This is because I am often working on a site where Level 1 is a partial Basement

b. There are also times when a given "Level" encompasses a "Split Level Floor"

4.  I don't consider "Level" to be the same as "Floor Name"

5.  More flexibility in showing upper and lower walls (Pony Walls) would be a nice feature.

6.  More flexibility in showing "Reference Layer Sets" would also be a nice feature.

7.  The ability to rename "Levels" would probably eliminate a lot of confusion.

Sometimes it's easier to create 3-4 blank Floors and start with the main floor on Level 3.  You can then develop the floors below so walls align as needed.  If you only need 1 floor below the main floor you can easily delete floor 1 and everything above will move down appropriately.

Joe,

I was experimenting with this method.  If you create the main floor on level 2...and the garage in on this level...then, how do you create the garage floor.  In my test plan...when I named the room "garage" it created a slab...but the slab extended through the frame wall...as a wood floor would do.  

How do you create a typical slab floor...would you have to create the garage slab manually with a p-solid?  

post-227-0-12532400-1472177175_thumb.png

post-227-0-95967500-1472177182_thumb.png

Joe,

I was experimenting with this method.  If you create the main floor on level 2...and the garage in on this level...then, how do you create the garage floor.  In my test plan...when I named the room "garage" it created a slab...but the slab extended through the frame wall...as a wood floor would do.  

How do you create a typical slab floor...would you have to create the garage slab manually with a p-solid?  

See item #3 on my post above.  Any Foundation above Level 0 has to be done manually.  But you don't need to use a P-Solid.  The Foundation Tools work fine - just not automatic.

A court/deck/porch etc. is an EXTERIOR room, whereas "Unspecified" is always an INTERIOR room. So with the wrong room, you accidentally might have an exterior wall extending "inside" the house. Also, it's possible that adjacent attic rooms might have an impact. Don't know.

Why do you think moving the floor levels as little as 1/16" fixes both sets of windows?

Why do you think moving the floor levels as little as 1/16" fixes both sets of windows?

Maybe because this also establishes the adjacent wall as a bearing wall? (which the exterior/interior demarcation does, too.) Before the advent of bearing walls, this technique used to be the primary way to create a new framing area. However, I'm just guessing. Only the developers know for sure.