THE JPC/GRAEME Floor Level Workshop Wednesday Aug.24 at 4:00 PM PST

dshall

THE JPC/GRAEME Floor Level Workshop Wednesday Aug.24 at 4:00 PM PST...... which is Thursday Aug. 25th at 9:00 AM for the folks down South

I will host a workshop via GOTOMEETING discussing FLOOR LEVELS........ (somehow we have to get JPC up to speed). We will be discussing floor levels and how changing the floor level at level 1 can change ceiling heights above etc. This has been an issue with quite a few users. We can also discuss walk-out basement issues.... why put them on level 1 vs level 0.

If you are attending, please have a plan ready with questions and issues so that we may discuss. If you have headphones and speaker that would be great... if you don't, somehow it has not been an issue lately..... but better off safe than sorry so go buy some headphones with a mic with a self muting switch.

If you are interested, please send me an email at dscotthall@mac.com.

If your name is below, I have your email, if your name is not below, I do not have have your email and you need to send it to me (Northriver Jeff & Rob Littleton.)

ATTENDEES: dsh, Perry the Slab Man, The Great Glenn Woodward, Larry "The Surfer" Hawes, JPC "He who would be late to his own wedding", JB "The Mad Baehmer" who will help JPC get on line, "New York Greg", Francois (who let a Frenchmen in?), Graeme "I don't work the weekends" Taylor, Richard "The Canuck" Martin, Jon Scussel, Chopsaw, Alan "The funniest man on CA" Lehman, Kurt C., Mark McA, Mon Cherie, Paramount, David Zawadzki, Jeff "Northriver", Moe G., Rich Windsor, Scott H.,  Sales,  The Curmudgeon,  24
(guys who might out.... Alan L., )

Thanks guys but I am going to have to bow out of this one too. I have a scheduling conflict since someone dropped 4 tickets to a Quakes game in my lap that are on the grass with a lounge attached. I have never been to a (pro) soccer game before so I will be going to my first a spoiled customer.

Hey guys,  this thing is filling up  (I think because JPC is going to grace us with his presence).

I have about 6 more slots,  

I think Glenn said something about sponsoring a $100,000 dollar door prize for the 5th caller......  he may of been kidding......  this might be a pretty good workshop,  I sure hope to learn a thing or two.

And for you guys that are  coming,  please bring a plan that is giving you fits.  Mon Cherie has already passed a great plan to me that we may begin the discussion with.

BTW.  here is a vid I did a while back discussing floor elevations. I just watched it again,  it might be a little hard to follow,  but this vid might show some evidence of whatever issues some guys are experiencing.  

The thing you need to take note of is by selecting THE SECOND FLOOR (one big room) in one of three different locations,  depending on what point in the room I selected to change the floor depth,  the floor above would behave differently for all 3 cases.  I do not have an explanation for the behavior.  

Hey  guys & gals,  I will be sending out email invites at 3:40 PST.  I am sending them out 5 minutes early so JPC can get his act together and join us  (love you JPC).  Please check in as early as you can to ensure you can join the meeting.  

Please,  if you  have examples of any plans you are having issues with,  please have them ready.  I have 4 things I want to discuss,   (maybe 15 minutes),

-   basement on level 1 or level zero

-   Mon Cheries walk  out basement plan

-   My own Justice plan

-   the Perucca Plan

and then it will open for anybody else to be the presenter.  Hopefully we will stay on topic,  dealing with floor elevations and how they effect the model.  I have a feeling this could be a good one.

We will start promptly at 4:00 pm PST.  

Thanks for the education Scott et all,

Does anyone have any experience with Dassault 3D sketches and solid operations like in CATIA, Solidworks, ProE? It is very close to what CA is doing by projecting 2D to 3D only they are integrated in 3D and both performed there for better visualizations and integrations, far less issues especially when it comes to simple planer projections. Solids can be constrained to one another. 3D camera view projections are sent to drawing views where layer sets are applied. In about half the time it took to watch all that I could have created the entire foundations and not have to worry what floor I projected from nor whether it work with another floor or a drawing view projection. 

Just asking not suggesting anything. 

Terry Noober Goober ;)

Thank you for hosting Scott and everyone that had such good idea and input. I think there was a few nuggets for me that I will try once I am back home. Sorry about any interruptions because I was a passenger going down the road during rush hour and my iPad was working on my phone hotspot.

This is for Sherry just in case you missed something while you were off-line and Alan and Antoine and anyone else that missed the meeting or would like to see it again. This video is in full 1080p HD courtesy of YouTube's unlimited storage. Thanks again for hosting Scott. Thanks also to Scott Harris for participating.

P.S. There is one audio track missing from the video but it is only mine and I did not have much input. I think I can fix this for the next video.  Edited 2016 10 22

• Upvote 1

Scott, thanks for your hosting the conference yesterday. What I came away with was that in a basement situation, everything related to concrete -- slabs and foundations -- should be on level 0, everything else should be on level 1, with the concrete walls necessary for correct representation, drawn as normal walls only. Foundation walls and normal walls on the same level are fraught with peril at the intersections.

I took a look at your plan. While I didn't get a chance to fully troubleshoot this, it seems like there are multiple walls at the garage attic kneewall; both regular and attic walls existing in the same space. The problem is somewhere around there, I think. If you look at the second floor exterior room definition, it includes the perimeter of the garage below, which it shouldn't. HTH.

This is for Sherry just in case you missed something while you were off-line and Alan and Antoine and anyone else that missed the meeting or would like to see it again. This video file is 1:46 long and 805 MB mp4 so watch it now on OneDrive but if you would like to maybe watch it again later please download it and save a copy for yourself as it may not be available forever like when I run out of cloud storage space. Thanks again for hosting Scott. Thanks also to Scott Harris for participating.

attachicon.gifVideo.JPG https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjjmuSMVEle6hG3yysOBUg7vRyOi

P.S. There is one audio track missing from the video but it is only mine and I did not have much input. I think I can fix this for the next video.

Nice job Chop!