Move a group of objects with precsion?

clfrycreative

This is one of those things I have been wasting a lot of time with work-arounds on, so it's time to learn the right way to do it... assuming there is a way...

I have a bathroom layout that I want to maintain, but move... however, I can only move the group in 1" increments, or press ctrl for totally free movement.

How can I move either in fractional increments, or a specified distance (12.5" in this case)?

There are a couple of ways to do it but one way is to draw a rectangular polyline and shape it to the area you want to move. Once done, then select the polyline, go to edit>edit area (visible if needed), then in the edit toolbar, select transform/replicate and move it in the direction you want it to go and click okay (don't copy though). Not totally sure what you want to move.

Or..

Select the objects start to drag in the direction you want to go.

Hit TAB, specify distance and direction (various options are available. 

Or,

Change your Snap Grid to 12.5" (I assume it is set to 1").

Select the objects and drag - they will jump in 12.5" increments.

Id just add that if you go this route make sure you don't change your "angle" accidentally.  Its easy to do, and I was having that problem until someone on the forums pointed that out.

Cool, Transform/Replicate is a tad more cumbersome than I was hoping for, but it does what I need.

Or..

Or,

Change your Snap Grid to 12.5" (I assume it is set to 1").

Select the objects and drag - they will jump in 12.5" increments.

This TAB function might be more along the lines of what I was looking for, I'll give it a try next time. I don't actually need to move in increments of 12.5" in this case, just needed to move a room 12.5" to the right... but changing the snap grid to .5" might be an even better idea, because I frequently need to move in 1/2" increments. Thanks, this is the kind of stuff I was looking for.