Daylight Basement (floor designation)

johnny

So I recently tried using floor 1 as my "daylight" basement level with all sorts of problems.  I've heard others on the forums use the 1st floor in CA for this purpose, and so I am curious if you guys had similar issues or if I am missing something key. 

My biggest issues were dealing with the roof, and how it treated lower walls which didn't have a "main floor wall" or floor platform above it (on Floor 2).  Even when I went to all manual roofs I was getting wall edges wanting to build up to the roof-line, and when modifying the upper 2 floor (which was main floor) where the outline of the building was temporary disconnected several walls auto-generated themselves back from floor 1 to the roof.

Is there something in particular you need to keep in mind when trying to use Floor 1 as the basement level?

Thanks for any help!

Shane:

there are two "camps" some say floor 0 holds foundation and basement

others say floor 0 for foundation only, floor1 for basement

My partner and I have been in first "camp"

and CA was in this "camp" when I started with 9.5

probably because back then there was a 10 floor limit

Lew

Shane:

there are two "camps" some say floor 0 holds foundation and basement

others say floor 0 for foundation only, floor1 for basement

My partner and I have been in first "camp"

and CA was in this "camp" when I started with 9.5

probably because back then there was a 10 floor limit

Lew

I have always been in the first "camp" where basement is on floor 0.   There have been occasions where I have seen that putting the basement on floor 1 was warranted.  This was were I saw a plan file with two structures (House w/ BSMT and garage) and the garage was lower in elevation compared to the house.

Putting it on floor 0 means that you cannot get a foundation plan just showing the foundation only, That is why and other reasons that I put it on floor one so I can get a foundation plan with having to show foundation and floor together. To much info here in California to put it on floor 0.

Putting it on floor 0 means that you cannot get a foundation plan just showing the foundation only, That is why and other reasons that I put it on floor one so I can get a foundation plan with having to show foundation and floor together. To much info here in California to put it on floor 0.

I seem to recall Joey Martin getting a foundation plan "and" putting basements on floor 0. I believe he did it with layersets. A search on the forum should pull this long-standing discussion back up. BTW, I am also in the first camp - but I don't live in California, thank God! :)

Mike

Joey combines the basement and foundation on the same plan and uses layers to send to the layout, I think. Nothing wrong with that , just don't work for me with all the info I need to put on the foundation plans. I just like them separate. Easier to work with. Now tell me how I could combine them with this

post-113-0-85682800-1471365886_thumb.png

Johnny,

It would help if you could post a simple plan so that we can see what is happening.

I wish I saved the file at that point, but what I did was go back and manually edit things to get it working again.

I can tell you I had many "issues"...but mostly where Floor 1 areas not fully encapsulated by the floor 2 perimeter was causing problems.

Basement floor plan and foundation plan all on level 0. I have never not done it this way, but that could just be because I have never needed to do it the other way.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/83lzkad9n9zki4w/Plan%20Set%206_8_16_PROOF%20SET.pdf?dl=0

so to be clear are you saying you keep basement and foundation plan on level 0?  ...or are you saying you've never done it that way?

Here in Canada where I am everything has to have at least frost walls but 99.9% have full basements. Whether they are walk-out(daylight) or not always draw it on floor/level 0. I could see where there may be advantages to doing it on floor/level 1 as Scott has pointed out in some of his videos. If it is simple, just a house and no other buildings on a mostly flat lot, then floor/level 0 should work fine.

I don't think we will ever get a consensus between the two methods. I was always taught to keep each floor on a level and use level 0 as foundation, but as the programme has evolved over the versions I can see how it does not make much difference, do what suits your method or requirements. If I remember correctly in the early days v5 level 0 was called foundation, and our layer control was nowhere like it is now.

so to be clear are you saying you keep basement and foundation plan on level 0?  ...or are you saying you've never done it that way?

He is saying keep Bsmt and FDN on level 0.  I feel the same with Joey on this.  I personally don't recall doing it this way but have heard of a situation where it makes sense to do it.

So...if you have a walkout basement wall (daylight side)...and this wall is a pony wall...with brick veneer that extends up about 30" from finish grade with lap siding above...how do you draw the foundation wall on the same level?  The foundation wall needs to extend to below frost line...in my area that is about about 36" or so from finished grade.  So...there are (2) walls in the same plane.  The foundation wall may also be a pony wall as it also could also have some brick veneer.  

I suppose this is where putting the basement on level 1 is the cure?  

Section attached...

post-227-0-04259100-1471410018_thumb.jpg

Mine are shown with a line for the stem wall below. The exterior dim is still the same, and if there is a need for a brick ledge, the exterior ledge line can be added. Would this work better with the basement on level 1? I don't know, and honestly I'm not willing to try since my system works well for me.

post-70-0-83989000-1471448264_thumb.png

Mine are shown with a line for the stem wall below. The exterior dim is still the same, and if there is a need for a brick ledge, the exterior ledge line can be added. Would this work better with the basement on level 1? I don't know, and honestly I'm not willing to try since my system works well for me.

So...how do you show the foundation in elevation?  Do you use a cad polyline?

No. My elevations, sections, and details are always live...very little CAD work.

Once the wall breaks are placed, simply click the wall while in elevation and use the temp dims to set the footing depth. Take a couple seconds per elevation to make them right.

Yep...I figured it out.  Thanks for the help Joey!