MS Excel type columns?

Canuck

In ACAD, user has the ability to select a column block with built in drop down menus that acts like MS Excel for data loading. Since I'm moving away from using ACAD for residential drawings (no longer exporting CA to ACAD and using my blocks in that program that I've made over the last 20 + years and creating sheets there), I want to create columns with drop down data boxes for changing out information from drawing to drawing....am I making sense here? Can CA do this? 

The main difference between CA and AutoCAD is that AutoCAD is natively 2D and CA is natively 3D. so you can use 2D stuff in CA but it will never be anything other than 2D (will not show in isometric cameras)/ CA uses 3D symbols not 2D CAD blocks, that is the main difference.

DJP

I was hoping for the ability to use columns & tables like we do in ACAD. Instead, I'll simply do it all in EXCEL, save as a PDF, and dump into the drawing.... until I can find another way around this. Well it's frustrating, it isn't the end of the world. It's all about the good and the bad.

Richard,

It would make it a little easier to answer your question if your could show some examples of what you've been doing and why.  Since Chief is 3D Object based, much of the specification is already in dialogs - some with drop-downs and others with check-boxes & radio-buttons.

Schedules pick up the data from the Objects so it's a similar thing to having MS Excel tables but they are dynamically linked to the 3D Model.  If the Model is changed then the Schedules change simultaneously. 

It would be nice if we could change the data in the Schedules and have the Model change - that has been requested but is not currently available.

Joe, it's just an Excel spread sheet we put together with all the components having drop downs to change the data, such as the size of studs, stud spacing, and type of insulation w/ it's effective ratings. So with 9 items int the table, each of those would have a drop down to change the information like you would the walls and insulation. I've attached a jpg for your viewing pleasure. This is just one wall. Each type of exterior wall must have one of these made up with a section showing the component structure. In a drawing I'm doing right now, I have 6 different exterior wall types.

I guess I'll go back to Excel and work with the print to PDF and drop them in the drawing. but I would hope at some point CA see's the benefits of having tables in their software, that has drop down boxes...or even adapt Excel to work with the software as ACAD has. Everyone loves this feature. With drawings requiring more data tables, having to not do the software dance would sure be nice. I purchased CA so I could get away from that. 

post-259-0-00225800-1471408568_thumb.jpg