Vertical Siding Question

carter

Hi ,

can anybody  point out how to get this type of siding to external wall( - definition ) ?

This type of siding is very common here in Norway.

Dimension of boards are usually 19 x 146 mm and distance between is106 mm.

Solution displayed on enclosed picture I've created by polyline solid which is completely cumbersome method to create.

Thanks

Frank

post-292-0-87585400-1471089193_thumb.png

Carter

lf you could have done this with P S, you pretty well know that chief uses image to simulate materials and patterns to show the vector views. But good job, with little peciency you can create the level of detail you need using C A.

If I were doing this I would create two material layers in your wall on the exterior with "opening no material" to at least show layers of cladding in plan view. You could do it the way you did with p solids or if you want something on the material list then use general framing member and adjust height width etc and use multiple copy.

Actually, if you set the finish layer of your wall to the proper depth of 2x the material, set correct color etc, and then come back with wall material regions that have the setting to "cut" the finish wall layer, you can very quickly duplicate those across each side of your structure. This gives you both vector and render views, and you don't have to model around the windows and doors since material regions auto-cut there.

Here is a quick example (i didn't get the settings right but just demonstrated it could work with ease). The "recessed" area is actually the material region cutting the last wall surface.

post-75-0-52563100-1471128870_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 4

Actually, if you set the finish layer of your wall to the proper depth of 2x the material, set correct color etc, and then come back with wall material regions that have the setting to "cut" the finish wall layer, you can very quickly duplicate those across each side of your structure. This gives you both vector and render views, and you don't have to model around the windows and doors since material regions auto-cut there.

Here is a quick example (i didn't get the settings right but just demonstrated it could work with ease). The "recessed" area is actually the material region cutting the last wall surface.

Wow a way to do board and batten !!

Thanks !!

post-138-0-62695500-1471148424_thumb.jpg

Wow a way to do board and batten !!

Thanks !!

Yep, works good for B&B, ship-lap siding,  as well as, modern cladding panels combined with the "coins" tool.  Its actually pretty cool, but I do wish our material regions had corner settings to apply. 

Looks great!

Now, I just wish I knew what you just said meant.

So I was thinking about Johnny's solution and came up with a way to make it even easier.

1.  Do not change the thickness of the wall material

2.  For the Wall Material Region

a. Make it the thickness of the applied boards

b. Do not have it cut the Surface Layer of the wall.

3.  Use Corner Boards

4.  If you need top and bottom boards (bands) you can use either

a.  Molding Polylines

b.  Additional Wall Material Regions

post-47-0-70084300-1471180058_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 4

Johnny, I also use a lot of material regions and wish we could use the component join tool at the corners, with them, just as with all the other wall types. Auto join would be even better. I'll send it into suggestions once again, hopefully others will too.