Wall Material Region question

SNestor

I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong...

Looking at a building exterior wall elevation...I'm trying to use a wall material region to cut through just the brick veneer layer of the exterior wall.  However, the region disappears and shows up way inside the building and it does not cut just the brick.

So...I guess my questions is...is a "wall material region" only to be used on the interior side of a wall?  

If that is the case...is there a way to "cut" the masonry veneer on the exterior side of a wall?  

What I am trying to do is create a brick arch above a window using a symbol created with solids...and then place a piece of wood trim (using a WMR) between the bottom side of the brick arch and the top side of the window.   In the attached photo I used a Solid...however, if the solid isn't deep enough the brick veneer stick through and hides the Solid (trim).  In reality I only want this Solid "trim" to be 2" thick which recesses it behind the brick...because the solid doesn't replace the veneer.  

post-227-0-55218800-1471017976_thumb.png

Uhh...yea, user error.  I figured it out.  I'm actually not 100% sure...but I think I had "painted" a brick material on to the walls.  I think this screwed things up.  Either way...I opened a new new plan and it works as designed. 

One of the great masters (I do not remember who Scott/Perry maybe)  of CA advises to never paint a material to an exterior wall. Always go thru the DBX and change.

Not me,  I paint exterior walls.  I understand that some users have issues,  but I have an anti issue cosmic shield surrounding my personal space,  so no problems here.......  not yet anyway.

I remember reading somewhere if you have assigned a material thru the DBX as the default and then decide later you want a different material (Like going from siding to brick) and it is painted on and then later change again thru the DBX the material will not change and still be the painted (brick) material on the wall. The only way to reset the material is to reset the default.

I just did a test. I drew a standard exterior wall out of the box, created an elevation and it shows grey horizontal siding. I selected the spray can and selected a brick from the library and painted it on the wall. Then selected the wall and opened the DBX and the 3D picture of the wall shows brick but the material did not change in the DBX for the wall. I selected a new material vertical grey B&B the 3D diagram still shows brick and when selecting done and go back to the elevation the wall still has brick. The only way I could change it back was to re-set the default or spray something else over the top. I do not think the spray on material shows up in the material list either if that may be of concern to people who use it.

The painted on brick only has the thickness of the default wall material also. Cross sections done with painted material over the default material on exterior walls may or may not be correct.

• Upvote 1

I just did a test. I drew a standard exterior wall out of the box, created an elevation and it shows grey horizontal siding. I selected the spray can and selected a brick from the library and painted it on the wall. Then selected the wall and opened the DBX and the 3D picture of the wall shows brick but the material did not change in the DBX for the wall. I selected a new material vertical grey B&B the 3D diagram still shows brick and when selecting done and go back to the elevation the wall still has brick. The only way I could change it back was to re-set the default or spray something else over the top. I do not think the spray on material shows up in the material list either if that may be of concern to people who use it.

The painted on brick only has the thickness of the default wall material also. Cross sections done with painted material over the default material on exterior walls may or may not be correct.

Good post, thank you.

I went down the same road as Jeff (Northriver) did some time back. Drove me nuts trying to change the walls to a new default when the clients changed their mind and wanted siding instead of brick. Finally came to the same conclusion - if you paint the walls for a different look, you cannot change the plan wall defaults and the expect the painted walls to change; they won't, as Jeff stated.

Mike

I went down the same road as Jeff (Northriver) did some time back. Drove me nuts trying to change the walls to a new default when the clients changed their mind and wanted siding instead of brick. Finally came to the same conclusion - if you paint the walls for a different look, you cannot change the plan wall defaults and the expect the painted walls to change; they won't, as Jeff stated.

Mike

The answer to this problem is to select the wall, open it and set the exterior wall material to use the Plan "Use Default" material. This get's you back to where you were before you "painted" the wall.

• Upvote 1

The answer to this problem is to select the wall, open it and set the exterior wall material to use the Plan "Use Default" material. This get's you back to where you were before you "painted" the wall.

Thanks, Joe. That's what I eventually did after many futile attempts to do it other ways.

Mike