Layer set changing in multiple plan views instead of just the one I want

RL-inc

I have recently started working with exporting and importing layer and annotation sets and am very excited about the prospect of improving my productivity with more consistent page set-up's.

However I have encounter a strange side effect.

When I open multiple plan views - either from layout or directly from the plan file- and I change the active layer set in the control box on one plan view, it changes the layer set in all of the plan views I have open.

( Before I started this exercise I could have separate layer sets active for each open plan view.)

As usual, I am assuming that I have checked something or changed a default somewhere that I am missing. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Joe-

When you open a main level floor plan view in one window in say the "main floor plan" set, or whatever you call it and then open the upper floor plan view in the " upper floor plan" set- do the each maintain their appropriate layer sets?

Or do the both switch to the same layer set ?

When you open a main level floor plan view in one window in say the "main floor plan" set, or whatever you call it and then open the upper floor plan view in the " upper floor plan" set- do the each maintain their appropriate layer sets?

Or do the both switch to the same layer set ?

They switch to the same layer set....  not good.....  I think we should be be able to have different layer sets or anno sets or ref sets for each view we are looking at.  

I will take it a step further and say we should be able to have level 1 open in three different windows and each window should be able to have a different anno or layer or  ref set. IOW,  I should be able to see the floor plan for level one,  the elec plan for level one and the framing plan for level one open at the same time.

I have been requesting this for years,  I suppose you were absent when I sent out the memo.

• Upvote 1

Rob

it seems like in your importing of layer sets and anno sets you have done something to link the sets. Maybe attach the plan file?

Have you tried deleting the layout and resending the offending pages?

Have you done a machine restart?

Graeme,  either you or I do not understand his request.  If you can do what I am requesting in the previous thread,   I wish you would show me how to do it.

LOT 78 CD.layoutLOT 78 CD.plan

I Have done all of the above- tried opening old plan files that were created in different templates. you name it.

The files I have attached here are the plan and layout that I had created before I copied it.

(I used the copied versions to try importing different layer and anno sets so I wouldn't screw up a set of in-progress working drawings.)

Here's what I am getting

- from layout open foundation plan, ok no worries- opens to new window with foundation on floor 0 and floor framing layer set active. move the screen to other monitor.

- from layout open roof framing plan- opens to new window on floor 1 with roof plan layer set active.

But now the foundation plan on floor 0 on the other monitor has changed to roof plan layer set also.

And tech support is saying this is normal.

I may be losing it :wacko:

And tech support is saying this is normal.

I may be losing it :wacko:

You are not losing it,  you are not listening.  Tech says it is normal behavior,  I say it is normal behavior.  It is behaving as it is programmed.

But what I am saying is,  this is not good behavior,  I agree with you,  it should be changed to  how you and I think it should behave.

Technically you can only have one copy of the Plan File open at any time.  There's only 1 Plan View and it covers all floors (like pages in the Layout) and 1 active Layer Set.

By dragging it to another Monitor you are just creating a new viewport.  When you then open the Framing Plan from the Layout it opens a new viewport and sets the Layer Set to "Framing".  You now have 2 viewports of the Plan and the Layer Set is the same in both.

If it was 2 different Plan Files you could have different Layer Sets.