Docking Windows on Multiple Monitors

Paramount

I had a ticked now closed on this since I figured out it was not a render setting or outdated video card. Its been a while since I been on CA but I was able to generate a x x8 camera view on any monitor then move it over to another. Now if I try it on any monitor but my W10 main CA crashes on the clock and I have to manually shut it down. The only work around is doing it all intact on my main, undocking on my main, then redocking on another monitor. If that makes sense?

Did I miss something, a CA or W10 update, setting I need now or something? Kind of a pain.

Just tried it here with several combinations across three screens and had no issues.  I do this quite a lot generally and its been fine on v18.3.1.2 x64

Do you get this with an empty or simple plan and default 3D view settings?

Just tried it here with several combinations across three screens and had no issues.  I do this quite a lot generally and its been fine on v18.3.1.2 x64

Do you get this with an empty or simple plan and default 3D view settings?

Thanks for looking at this with me. Yes, happens with any plan @ default render settings. I'm running an ASUS gaming labtop as my main window setting in displays with two monitors that I can have three separate windows on. When I try and move my main window to a monitor it gets worse. If I open a DBX to a monitor it crashes. Another issue I have had is I can't let the monitors sleep or they won't fire back up without a unplug and sometimes reboot. I bet it's some setting on my GeForce GTX 965M? Both it and W10 have the labtop as main.

Perhaps I need to reopen my ticket since I have a better understanding on whats going on. I did not have these issues on X7 and beta X8.  

I had that sleep issue on a GTX790 on Win 10 and that needed a driver update and firmware update.  

Have you still got X7 installed to compare? There have been three Win10 versions since release as it keeps upgrading itself in a way that previous versions of Windows didn't and this adds another variable to the mix.

Terry

Your response to me says it is win 10 setup on the problem machine, as you can clearly see that it works on 1 machine . therefore not CA . I would look at the video card and possibly go back to an older driver?. check the differences between the 2 machines for a lead to the problem. without any real data it is hard to troubleshoot.

best of luck tracking it down.

What Sherry said- and or.  Be sure that the NVIDA control panel also lists multiple monitors.

I have no issue on the win 10 machine BUT it came with 10. It does not have an intel card so no optimus, I keep sleep disabled, I did not enable G-Sync, and I use Ultra Mon to control monitors.

On the win 8 machine I set UltraMon to use the Nvidia Card since you can't change which card the displays themselves use (actually I have that set so everything uses the Nvidia card.)

Might try some of those. UltraMon (and a few similar programs are available as trials and cheap to buy) I've also seen talk of using NirSoft's free MultiMonitor Tool to solve win 10 monitor issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to trying to figure this out, added CA to NVIDIA didn't help . Display setting are the same on NVIDIA and W10 labtop as main extended desktop to this display. My monitors just don't like opening 3D graphics I get the spinning wheel of death. My ports are HMDI and mini DVI to HMDI neither like it. Not sure if NVIDIA is being used at those ports how do I tell? 

This guy had the same issue but never gave a solution: https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/8423-dual-display-chief-crashes/

My other older card works fine must be newer ones like he said he has a GTX970 mines 965. I have to open 3D on the labtops NVIDIA move 3D to a monitor to get it to work. Weird!