Can't put stairs in.

ladycoralie

Hi all, I sure there is a simple explanation, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong with my stairs. I'm trying to put a set of stairs going up from the living room to the bedroom at the top which is over the kitchen. But for the life of me, I can't get it to go up properly. I tried building a stairwell, but it went out over the room, and looks crazy. I had no problem putting in the stairs in the garage, just can't do this one. Can someone please have a look at my plan and tell me what I'm doing wrong please?

Cheers and thanks

Coralie

Meadow Lea.plan

After further examination of your Plan, it appears that you have a 2 story living room.  Rather than define this as a tall room, create a room above it on Level 2 and set it as "Open Below".  Then you can modify the wall between the Bedroom and the Open Below Room as a "Railing".

Thanks for your help guys. I tried both methods and it seemed the last one worked for me. I created a 2nd floor as suggested and called that "open below", and I realigned the stairs. I don't know why, but there was no option to create a stairwell for me, but when I look in the 3D camera, the stairs are going up to the 2nd floor and seem okay. I will attach my plan again. If you wouldn't mind looking at the stairs and telling me what you think, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Coralie

Meadow Lea.plan

Coralie,

Are you talking about no option to create an Auto Stairwell while on level 1 plan and selecting the stair?

You don't get that option because there is already a stairwell created - it's the Open Below room above. 

By the way, you have a very dangerous situation created by that door at the top of the stairs.

I think you need a landing in front of the door - it's probably a code requirement anyway.