Edit Material Definition in User Catalog

Korel_Design

Not sure how you addressed your issue Jerry, but for anyone else with a similar question or problem, there are at least 3 quick ways to create new materials:

1. Right click on your User Catalog or on one of it's folders and then navigate to New>Material, give it a name, adjust the various settings, apply a texture, etc.  

2. 3D>Materials>Plan materials or Shift + C, click either Copy or New and then define the material as you wish.

3. In a 3D view, click on the Material Painter>Plan Materials and proceed as mentioned above...OR in the Library Materials tab click on the little Add New Material icon...post-46-0-56219100-1470702982_thumb.png

NOTE:  You can access these same dbx's by clicking on the Materials tab of just about anything and then clicking on Select Material or one of the 2 material preview windows...post-46-0-44917800-1470703293_thumb.png

There are also a number of ways to edit materials:

A.  Right click on the material if its in your user library and then click open object and edit as necessary

B.  3D>Materials>Adjust Material Definition (the little rainbow icon)

C.  Use options #2 or #3 above and instead of clicking copy or new...click EDIT

TIP: If using option #3 and the Material Painter to copy or edit materials you can quickly find the material you're looking for by first clicking on the Material Eyedropper, selecting the material you'd like to copy or edit AND THEN clicking on the Material Painter.  If you do this, the item you previously selected will be pre-selected for you in the select material dbx.  

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much,

I was trying to edit a material while the program was wanting me to select a material. It did not work that way.

However, I would like to learn to delete unwanted wall definitions. About half the wall definitions in the list are wall types I would never use and if I needed a wall definition then I would just create what I needed. The long list just gets a little easy to get lost in there.

JK

However, I would like to learn to delete unwanted wall definitions. About half the wall definitions in the list are wall types I would never use and if I needed a wall definition then I would just create what I needed. The long list just gets a little easy to get lost in there.

Build>Wall>Define Wall Types.  Select a wall type from the drop down and then click delete.  You can also reach the same dbx by opening a wall, clicking on the Wall Types tab and then clicking Define.

One way to deal with Wall Types is to add the one's you want to the user Library arranged in folders and named according to their construction.  Then when you want to draw a particular Wall Type you just select that Wall Type in your Library and start drawing. 

When you use one of those in a Plan, it will get added to the Wall Types drop-down menu. 

Any wall type that isn't used in the Plan can be deleted in the Wall Type Definition dbx.  It would be nice if there was a "Purge unused Wall Types" function, but that doesn't exist at this time.