Cricket Help

SketchArchitect

All...   I have a roofing headache... ;)  

Anyway...   the auto-roof function creates the most logical roof design.  My client (The Builder) says that option is too expensive for the budget so this is as close as I can come to a solution without further assistance...   this needs a cricket... and I simply have no idea how to create one in CA.  Any Help?

Is there a tutorial for this?

Kind Regards,

Stu

Flickinger Project.plan

This works...   still don't know how to do the cricket.

well maybe I spoke too soon...   I'm not understanding this fix...   when i extend the slope down as a single pitch as labeled, the edge dos not line up like your image.   can you show me the edited file?

well maybe I spoke too soon...   I'm not understanding this fix...   when i extend the slope down as a single pitch as labeled, the edge dos not line up like your image.   can you show me the edited file?

It might not actually work.  I was just throwing an idea out there.  Didn't actually try modelling it. Maybe that's why Alan did what he did.  Maybe it was ME who spoke too soon.

Micheal, the roof pitch you are suggesting to extend has the plate about 10' from where you want it to be.

Gotcha. Sorry about that then. I just pretty quickly glanced at your drawing and then at the plan. I guess I didn't fully grasp what I was looking at. My bad.

The crickets are just roof planes. Place them and move them to the desired locations and heights.

Yeah don't make it so difficult. Create a roof plane where you'd like the cricket to be and set the pitch to 1/2":12. They almost never end up beinghe right height etc but just move the plane up/down using the roof dbx or the transform replicate tool. Break the main roofs and join them to the cricket. Some times they are a necessary evil but we do them all the time.

They might be ugly, but only from Google Earth.

post-302-0-54117200-1470684184_thumb.png

post-302-0-53360400-1470684199_thumb.png

You can use the auto roof tools to do much of the work, but you should really be able to do a simple roof like this manually. When I first started, I drew roof after roof for practice. This shows the existing structure in blue and the new in green, all auto generated. You would need to make a few adjustments to the auto build, then connect and fill in the missing roof planes. attachicon.gifsa 4.jpg Turn off the roof over the new, build roof over existing, cut (copy and delete) roof planes. Turn off roof over existing and on over new. Build roof. Paste hold position to put the existing roof back.

I have to learn the on / off feature... sounds much easier.  I'll look for a tutorial on that...  Been doing it all manually...   [sigh]

Glenn:

ok, then why this posting ???

remember I don't do roofs

anything beyond auto and I send the plan to my partner/friend

Lew

For starters, its because what I believe the OP was really asking for was a complex SADDLE, not a cricket...

post-46-0-77975200-1470760373_thumb.jpg

...and I'm not too sure Softplan's saddle tool would have worked in this situation either.  I will admit that the saddle tool might be a good addition to Chief though. 

Solver...

Thank you...   Crickets are still a bit of a mystery...  ie auto or manual...   but I have a better feel for it than I did going in.  So Thank you ALL for that!

Your configuration is what I went with... albeit my attempt at duplicating your idea was not quite perfect... but it works for the application.  my camera view on the inside did not have smooth uninterrupted ceiling planes like yours did.  but I can handle that one.

I think the "Saddle" that I initially had in my uploaded plan was too complex...  I was just stymied...   So thanks again y'all for helping the newbie!  It is truly appreciated.

Glenn:

ok, then why this posting ???

remember I don't do roofs

anything beyond auto and I send the plan to my partner/friend

Lew

Hmmm - novel idea, that.  Any of you guys interested in making a few extra bucks when I get a stumper?   If so,  send me a message and let me know your rates for roof design? 

For starters, its because what I believe the OP was really asking for was a complex SADDLE, not a cricket...

attachicon.gifSaddle.jpg

...and I'm not too sure Softplan's saddle tool would have worked in this situation either.  I will admit that the saddle tool might be a good addition to Chief though. 

That my friend is a very tricky cricket.  A few comments....

-   If the ridge is parallel to ground,  then you probably have 2 different roof pitches for each side of saddle.

-   If the two roof planes for the saddle are the same pitch,  then the ridge is not parallel to ground but is sloped.

Nothing wrong with this, just a couple of observations.