Am I adding Dimensions Efficiently ?

CBuserIndia

All designers in my team end up spending 10-15 minutes in giving dimensions on 2D elevation for a single room (~ 4 walls Elevations ). I have feeling that there should be way easier option / process to handle this task.

We use Chief Architect 8 - Interior version.

I have created a sample Video (4 minutes) of how I go about giving dimensions . Can you guys/experts PLEASE PLEASE go over & tell me how can I make it more efficient. Measurements are there, it shouldn't take so much time to label them. We struggle so much in picking center point.

Please  go through this video & if you can share some better way of doing same.

(pls mute video, has lot of background traffic noise)

Perhaps the easiest way to get a full kitchen dimensioned would be to use auto dimensions- (NOTE-I don't like the NKBA auto dimensions since you can't control anything AND they are available in Interiors

but auto-elevation are not bad.

To have the vertical dimension be next to the cabinets in a view that spans rooms as yours does-

• you can use a back clipped section instead of a wall elevation.
  • Set your defaults to locate what you want, be sure to  look at what structural elements the default is set to include- you won't want them all. Then pick a side for the dimensions.
  • Open the dbx for the view and check clip to sides, drag the sides of the camera in until the view just includes what you want dimensioned, then click auto elevation dimensions.
  • You can then go back and revert the view to the width you want and the dimensions will stay where they were when in the side clipped  view.
  • If you need more vertical dimensions in another area repeat the process in another area.
  • If you need dimension to wall you drag the extra little diamond over.

There is no way around having to change default settings for "locate objects" in the interior version. Auto Dims do eliminate the pesky message box but I've gotten used to it when doing manual dims.

With Premier you can use annotation sets to have varied "locate objects" settings for manual dimensions but not for auto. Annosets are a big reason I upgraded to premier. Might be worth downloading a trial version AND reading up on what they do (especially in the forum) to see if it is worth it. For a while I had one Premier license and one Interiors seat-we just dimensioned in Premier. There are other advantages to working in Anno-sets though so I upgraded the second license.

post-85-0-62534800-1470684642_thumb.png

post-85-0-73707000-1470684651_thumb.png

post-85-0-32854600-1470684662_thumb.png

I should have mentioned that- using auto dims in a second view will delete the first set. If you want a second set of auto dimensions you have to copy the first ones, then do the second set, then paste in place. You will have a few that need to be deleted after that.

Perhaps the easiest way to get a full kitchen dimensioned would be to use auto dimensions- (NOTE-I don't like the NKBA auto dimensions since you can't control anything AND they are available in Interiors

but auto-elevation are not bad.

To have the vertical dimension be next to the cabinets in a view that spans rooms as yours does-

• you can use a back clipped section instead of a wall elevation.
  • Set your defaults to locate what you want, be sure to  look at what structural elements the default is set to include- you won't want them all. Then pick a side for the dimensions.
  • Open the dbx for the view and check clip to sides, drag the sides of the camera in until the view just includes what you want dimensioned, then click auto elevation dimensions.
  • You can then go back and revert the view to the width you want and the dimensions will stay where they were when in the side clipped  view.
  • If you need more vertical dimensions in another area repeat the process in another area.
  • If you need dimension to wall you drag the extra little diamond over.

There is no way around having to change default settings for "locate objects" in the interior version. Auto Dims do eliminate the pesky message box but I've gotten used to it when doing manual dims.

With Premier you can use annotation sets to have varied "locate objects" settings for manual dimensions but not for auto. Annosets are a big reason I upgraded to premier. Might be worth downloading a trial version AND reading up on what they do (especially in the forum) to see if it is worth it. For a while I had one Premier license and one Interiors seat-we just dimensioned in Premier. There are other advantages to working in Anno-sets though so I upgraded the second license.

Hello Mark

Thank you so much for all help. We are going through suggestion & try to come up solution within Interior version for now. Your pointers have made us discover many new points. It will take 2-3 days for us to learn & implement.

One silly question, what is dbx ??? does it mean dialogue Box ??

I am thinking if I can create a new "Layer Set" which displays only items I want in Elevation & use it as default for Elevation view, it should help to speed up things.

I will update you again later this week with progress & might need more help.

I have seen Annotation related video & I understand how impressive/useful feature is but for now, I am sticking to Interior version & see what best I can do.

Thanks again

Nitin 

Yes, DBX is dialogue box. Layersets can help, I use those in conjunction with annosets. You may also want to adjust -the "first line offset" for automatic dimensions in the setup tab; and settings in the "extensions" tab- try proximity fixed and adjust to suit